Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Error: Missing libopenal.so ?  (Read 3481 times)

jcrites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Error: Missing libopenal.so ?
« on: May 17, 2010, 03:03:44 pm »

Hello,

Not sure if this is a bug or if I'm just doing something wrong (probably the latter).  When I try to run Linux DF, it fails with an error message:

% ./df
./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've done some preliminary searches to find the library, but am not totally clear what it is.  I don't see it mentioned in any of the included files such as README.linux.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Error: Missing libopenal.so ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 04:15:24 pm »

when I first saw this, I thought you were posting a Liberal Crime Squad bug. I was like,  ::).

Sorry man, I got nothin'.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:28:56 pm »

Well, if you're on Ubuntu, run "sudo apt-get install openal", on Arch, "sudo pacman -S openal", and I'm not familiar with any other package managers (check your documentation! The package you need is called openal, and will provide the library libopenal). If that doesn't work, or if it says that libopenal is already installed, you'll need to simlink your /usr/lib/openal.so.* (the number at the end will be different, which is preventing DF from finding it) to /usr/lib/openal.so.1, by running "sudo ln /usr/lib/openal.so.[whatever number it is] /usr/lib/openal.so.1"

Sudos are only there in case you're not running in a root shell; it might be easier if you were ("sudo su" to get there).

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 12:58:32 am »

There's also a package listed in the official 31.04 thread which contains the necessary lib.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

voneiden

• Bay Watcher
  • hngh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 03:34:29 am »

Hello,

Not sure if this is a bug or if I'm just doing something wrong (probably the latter).  When I try to run Linux DF, it fails with an error message:

% ./df
./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've done some preliminary searches to find the library, but am not totally clear what it is.  I don't see it mentioned in any of the included files such as README.linux.
Your distribution and whether it's 32/64 bit would be useful information. If you're running 32-bit then just installing openal will do the trick, if you're running 64-bit then either install a 32-bit compatibility library if such is provided by your distribution or dig my post from the 0.31.04 thread and install manually.

If you were running 32-bit Arch Linux, typing "yaourt -S dwarffortress" would do the whole trick straight away.

You will probably having more of those errors coming your way. Most likely necessary things for getting DF to run: gtk2, sndfile, xdamage, mesa, sdl_image and openal. These need to be 32-bit libraries as DF is 32-bit only.