Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: liquid metals and vials  (Read 809 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
liquid metals and vials
« on: May 17, 2010, 03:18:57 am »

I can make a liquid metal. I can (I think) make a custom reaction to produce it. What I want to know is: can I make it in a vial?
Can metals be created in vials? Is the best way to do this to make it NOT a metal? I would rather not do that, because on the off chance that dwarves cook off mercury on a glacier, I would like to be able to use it to make mercury things outside, for laughs.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

HeliumFreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: liquid metals and vials
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 07:21:25 am »

Im not sure exactly. But depends on the melting point i guess... Since vials are made of glass theyll melt before most metals will...

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 07:55:56 am »

IIRC, vials and other containers are doable if you take a look at the Gypsum reaction. However, getting things out of said vials is tricky.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 11:30:09 am »

Stuff in vials is reasonably easy to do using the [PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:X] tag for the liquid product (remembering to include an appropriate container for the reaction in the reagents complete with [PRESERVE_REAGENT]). As Warlord 255 said it is getting them out of the vials that is the difficult part, as reactions seem to be unable to look inside most containers for reagents.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 11:35:19 am »

Yeah, that's the sticky point. I'm trying to figure out a good way to do that myself, since I'd like to use vials of stuff as reagents for alchemy.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 03:15:38 pm »

Have a reaction produce a toy called "vial of <chemical>". You could require an ordinary vial as reagent, and use the [GET_MATERIAL..] tag to produce something that can be used in reactions but not any use as chemical weapon. Unless you want to get adventurous and make a ranged chemistry set weapon, that uses vials of sulphuric acid as ammo.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:20:37 pm »

Have a reaction produce a toy called "vial of <chemical>". You could require an ordinary vial as reagent, and use the [GET_MATERIAL..] tag to produce something that can be used in reactions but not any use as chemical weapon. Unless you want to get adventurous and make a ranged chemistry set weapon, that uses vials of sulphuric acid as ammo.

not quite what I was looking for, but I'll keep that in mind as a workaround.

IIRC, vials and other containers are doable if you take a look at the Gypsum reaction. However, getting things out of said vials is tricky.

In older versions, you could ask dwarves to dump the contents of a barrel/vial. And they would! What gives?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]