Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking on a mountainhome?  (Read 1946 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Embarking on a mountainhome?
« on: May 16, 2010, 03:14:02 am »

Mountainhomes, even if they are of a diferent non-playable mountainhome making civilization, seem to not be embarkable. Am I doing something wrong, or is this hardcoded?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking on a mountainhome?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 03:16:30 am »

no its supposed to be like that

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 03:19:40 am »

aw. nertz. I even found one now owned by the HuMans. I kind of wanted to embark on one so I could properly view/map the layout for a generic dwarven mountainhome.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:21:09 am »

visit them in adventure mode, and watch as they are simple holes in the ground.

seriously, they are, in this version.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 03:40:39 am »

wait, seriously? (my adventure mode experience was crashy).

Aw. I suppose this no-embarking on mountainhomes thing was still prevalent in 40d? Because I really wanted a map of one. They were so... odd.
[/quote]

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 04:36:44 am »

Basicly they are a 60x60 (maybe more) Square Rise in the ground which comes up sometimes 2 or 3 layers high from base level, inside this 'wall' is a ring of up/down stairs the whole way round before finally reaching base level where there is a 5 or so single wide ramp entrance that then mirrors in the annoying way to go down a few, sometimes that is all for a young mountianhome but the older ones read out further with a 9 or 11 wide corridor that has off cuts that loop around where attached to these off cuts are 7x7 rooms...

All of this is Smooth Natural Stone/Ore/Gem, there is not buildings, no nothing. Except all the Dwarves of that Mountain home milling around with no real goal. Its near impossible to find anyone to talk to that is of major importance due to the size of these things...

Don't know what Toady was thinking when he wrote the script for Mountain homes...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 07:51:02 am »

Don't know what Toady was thinking when he wrote the script for Mountain homes...

Well, it's a set of rooms underground, so it works. Dark Towers are the same, they just grow up.

It's obviously a placeholder. Back in 2d mountainhomes were better. When the town arc strikes he will develop it.

I kind of wanted to embark on one
There was Embark Anywhere tool for 40d, try to contact the author for 0.31.* experience :). It allowed you to embark anywhere, even in ocean or on mountains.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 09:42:20 am »

Well, it's a set of rooms underground, so it works. Dark Towers are the same, they just grow up.

It's obviously a placeholder. Back in 2d mountainhomes were better. When the town arc strikes he will develop it.

I kind of wanted to embark on one
There was Embark Anywhere tool for 40d, try to contact the author for 0.31.* experience :). It allowed you to embark anywhere, even in ocean or on mountains.
it works for 31.# as well.
embarking on top of one and digging down would lead to the tiles that are directly under the premade hole would be automatically smoothed all but the molten rock, this also makes digging past aquifers easier. with that said there are no hidden rooms down there.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 10:19:41 am »

There're no hidden rooms, there're supposed to be simple rooms. But I think 0.31.* broke it, the way it broke dark towers and tunnels, so it will be eventually fixed.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 12:42:06 pm »

You can embark on ones that are abandoned. I just embarked on an ancient goblin fort that was defeated about 800 years ago. My wagon started on the top level! It appears to be made of natural obsidian, so I should be able to remodel it nicely.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 05:01:11 pm »

When mountain homes were more then just a hole in the ground, they had a very obvious layout pattern that was based on 8x8 groups, which were repeatedly used in 16x16 setups. I believe this included the entry, but it seemed to differ, so presumably there were different entry types or were dynamically generated. Also, the only time an entry was "elevated" was if it was located on an incline or steep hill; the game probably thought "Oh, THIS is ground level" and then raised the "top" of the entry to match, just like with those elevated rivers and such.

From my memory, one corner of the level below the bottom floor of the entry pit looked like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And when copied and rotated/mirrored to fill a 16x16 square:
And then the game would drop the 'ramp' design onto it:
The "@" does not actually exist as a tile, it's just there to get the ramp to the right position, which would be:
And then a hallway that came off of that would look like:
Of course there were various alterations to the grouped setup, like how it would react if a set of rooms needed a branching hallway:
And the rooms that came off of that branch usually looked like:
But may have had an alternate that depended on the surrounding terrain the same as the branching hallway:

tl;dr
It was a modular system that used 8x8 groups assembled into 16x16 groups, 9 of which would fit into a single local map tile (48x48) per z-level, and was limited to a 3x3 local map tile area (ex: 3x3 embark size) If you recognized the patterns the mountain home used, you could replicate that in your own fortress construction. The style was also usually an inverted pyramid; wide at the top, narrow at the bottom.
One of the funny bugs about this is that the surrounding map features were generated after the fortress, so that you'd sometimes find shallow fortresses had "dug" into a pond, flooding an area with pond water; or outright breached a feature like a chasm, river, or pool.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 09:07:29 pm »

I want to Embark Anywhere on a Mountain Home, and steal all their rooms for my dwarves' bedrooms.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 11:44:37 pm »

I want to Embark Anywhere on a Mountain Home, and steal all their rooms for my dwarves' bedrooms.

This, really. The design isn't a bad one, it's just that the mountainhome dwarves have no actual buildings, stores, or anything.
I'd like to get a feel for how they're generated. The Dark Fortresses are cool do repurpose, and I thought maybe I'd try the same with a mountainhome, then couldn't. Even if I played as a different race.
[/quote]

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 12:30:50 am »

embarking on top of one and digging down would lead to the tiles that are directly under the premade hole would be automatically smoothed all but the molten rock, this also makes digging past aquifers easier. with that said there are no hidden rooms down there.

If I recall correctly, in 40d you could see the entire layout of the thing by embarking there and then revealing the map, but as soon as you try to dig into any piece of the mountainhome, it just disappears and gets replaced by rock.

So you can look, but you can't touch.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:22:43 am by orbcontrolled »