Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I thought I was a terrible person...  (Read 2271 times)

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
I thought I was a terrible person...
« on: May 09, 2010, 07:27:47 pm »

For ordering a tame chipmunk chucked off the 22-z-level death drop into the caverns, to see what would happen.

Turns out, it survived just fine (unlike two goblin lashers and a human crossbowman).

I'm throwing one into magma next.  :D
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Leesin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I thought I was a terrible person...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 08:02:16 pm »

How do you order this lol ?

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 08:13:07 pm »

How do you order this lol ?

You either channel a hole, or use any available tile marked "Open Space" that your dwarves could get adjacent to. Make an activity zone over the open space, and press 'p' to label it as a Pit/Pond. Then, press 'P' over your new Pit/Pond to edit the settings. There, you'll find an option to turn your pond [which is what it defaults at] into a Pit. When it's a pit, assign contents. You can assign a wide variety of animals and invaders to your pit. When assigned, the dwarves will lead whatever creature you assigned to the edge and then throw them in.

Also, some advice- if you're planning on throwing in caged hostiles, build their cage right on the edge of the pit so they have less of an opportunity to escape and wreak mayhem in your fort. as your dwarves attempt to toss them in.
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 08:44:08 pm »

Just make sure you don't try it with thieves and snatchers, they can escape even if they're only 1 tile from the pit  ::).

Well, I ordered the same chipmunk tossed into a magma pool.  I can't be certain, but I think it walked off the surface of the magma to the ledge  ???.

I then dug a hole in the cavern roof right over the middle pool, dropped the chipmunk...and it stopped a few z levels above the surface and is happily bouncing around there.

Flying chipmunk?  :o
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 10:10:59 pm »

It is riding the thermals.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 10:37:53 pm »

I ordered the same chipmunk tossed into a magma pool.  I can't be certain, but I think it walked off the surface of the magma to the ledge  ???.
I think I'm going to use this as my sig for now...
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 11:20:02 pm »

Perhaps vermin are not affected by long falls? Chipmunks still shouldn't be able to fly or walk over empty spaces, especially over magma.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 11:41:45 pm »

Vermin are unaffected by long drops.

However, throwing them into magma worked sometimes in 40d. Apart from that time I ordered a cave swallow thrown in, and it flew away and caused job cancel spam when I tried to order it re-caged.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 12:18:02 am »

I once tosses a lizard cage into a magma pit.  It crawled out on fire and couldn't be atom smashed or eaten by cats. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Xocolotl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 08:11:13 pm »

Remember, the less mass something has, the less effect gravity has on it. So big things--hitting the ground at terminal velocity, magma, etc.--will actually make a chipmunk immortal. From this we can infer that small things (cat claws, land shrimp, nanorhinos) would be instantly lethal to vermin.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 08:17:09 pm »

nanorhinos

Just adding emphasis to the awesome.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 03:50:45 pm »

Just make sure you don't try it with thieves and snatchers, they can escape even if they're only 1 tile from the pit  ::).

Well, I ordered the same chipmunk tossed into a magma pool.  I can't be certain, but I think it walked off the surface of the magma to the ledge  ???.

I then dug a hole in the cavern roof right over the middle pool, dropped the chipmunk...and it stopped a few z levels above the surface and is happily bouncing around there.

Flying chipmunk?  :o
Sounds like you've hit the same bug that allows hoverblood.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 10:27:33 pm »

You've never heard of a flying squirrel?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?