Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it normal for dwarves to have bad soul attributes?  (Read 1026 times)

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it normal for dwarves to have bad soul attributes?
« on: May 15, 2010, 08:17:25 am »

I've got ten dwarves right now, and one has "the ability to focus." That's it for the positive soul attributes. The rest are atrocious, and the other nine don't have a single positive one.

Is this normal, and will it be resolved when I get more migrants (I'll admit ten is a small number)? Or do soul attributes decay like the regular ones when not used (you'd think they'd be better at judging emotions or something what with all their sitting around and talking to each other and stuff), and if so do I need to do anything special to increase them?

EDIT: Just got another wave of migrants. A few positive ones, but not very many. Maybe five total attributes positive now. Population up to 19.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:38:22 am by Alexei403 »

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it normal for dwarves to have bad soul attributes?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 08:42:07 am »

I think you were just really unlucky.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

dpara

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 08:58:15 am »

I think you were just really unlucky.

I don't think so, actually I am starting to believe that dwarves (now?) tend to be created "similar".

So far I experienced the embark 7 with:
about 5 of them with either mighty, creative, crowd avoiding or fast to tire. The majority of my embark guys had a theme.
(...I wouldn't know if that theme persists to the immigrants since I never read their attributes)

In my current game I embarked with 3 proficient armorers (in my previous 3 successive games my sole armorers had...accidents and I got no immigrating armorers) and now I have about 4 immigrant armorers after my third wave.

CONSPIRACY!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 09:13:08 am by dpara »

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 10:14:13 am »

Keep in mind that attributes can change depending on what the dwarf does; if they're quick to tire, for instance, and they spend a decade soldiering, they'll be indefatigable soon enough. I don't know (and doubt) that things like focus improve with jobs such as managing orders or updating records, though. As far as I know, immigrant professions are rather random, but sometimes the game'll suspiciously throw in some professions you're short on.

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 12:06:50 pm »

Yeah, I know the mighty, agile, etc. attributes can increase.

I was wondering about the ones like music ability and stuff.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 03:46:25 pm »

It seems normal for dwarves to have all attributes bad. I think in my fortress of sixty-one, I've seen only a handful with two green stats. I have, however, seen many with two or more lines of red.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 03:56:51 pm »

These attributes are no more.  It's more complex now.
There's nothing in the game that improves them, so they just rust into nothing.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 03:33:16 am »

These attributes are no more.  It's more complex now.
There's nothing in the game that improves them, so they just rust into nothing.

I know it's more complex, but I've seen "he is absolutely inexhaustible and mighty, but..." which are the ones I was referring to. Sucks about the soul attributes, though.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 12:52:15 pm »

Actually attribute gain in general is broken, not just soul attributes.

Military training (individual combat drills anyway, all I can reliably get dwarves to do) trains strength, agility, and endurance.

No other jobs train anything at all, or if they do it's at a hilariously low rate. So everyone who's not in the military will end up with miserable stats after 5 - 10 years.

You can disable stat rust for now by editing the raws (don't remember how offhand, sorry) since it's actually fairly crippling - dwarves with rusted agility move really slow, seemingly half (or less) the speed of a normal, fresh immigrant dwarf and I'm sure the rest has some effect as well.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 02:07:51 pm »

Digging also rises Agility, Strength, and Endurance.  Better than military training, if only because it isn't nearly as buggy.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 02:13:27 pm »

I think agility increases by just walking, but I might be wrong. Also, maybe the starting attributes are somehow derived from the home civilisation? There could be stronger or weaker dwarven kingdoms.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 03:27:12 pm »

Likely, embark a few days ago had a reasonable mix, I had dwarfs with good and bad attributes, and they weren't very mixed.
I had someone with three positive soul attributes and two negatives, one dwarf with 2 + and 2 -, and weird mixes like fast healing and super tough, but weak, clumsy and quick to tire.

... How long have I been away?