Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A *unique* artifact magic system: messing with the code  (Read 745 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
A *unique* artifact magic system: messing with the code
« on: May 19, 2010, 09:57:56 pm »

All right, I know I've made some "suggestions" in the past which weren't what Toady's really looking for, but now I think I might be onto something.

From what I understand of the programming behind DF, everything is done in vectors, sets of variables that interact to create the game world as we see it.  Now, therein artifacts have the ability to work magic "behind the scenes", creating erratic effects that confound the player.  The might do this by changing those variables that won't cause system instability if changed (and maybe those ones too).  The ultimate effect is that "bugs" emerge, the type of bugs that make DF so endearing.  If this system is implemented, then melting rains, übercarp, and all the crazy stuff from previous versions that had to be removed for the sake of playability can be put back in.  Of course, this would still be totally random and unpredictable, but that's the whole point!

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A *unique* artifact magic system: messing with the code
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:53:47 pm »

are you sure you haven't been influenced by one of those artifacts?
igless

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:00:02 am »

DF isn't about making random stuff happen, DF is about proceduralized events.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:36:28 am »

You could always do it yourself. Grab a memory editor, and every time you get an artifact, change some random value in DFs memory. Report any fun you encounter.

I don't know, I sometimes get a laugh out of using the utilities to completely wreck a game session, but I wouldn't want to play the game that way all the time.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 11:19:11 am »

NOT THIS DAMN RANDOM-PROCEDURAL JUNK AGAIN!! LOOK JUST GET ALONG.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 04:55:57 pm »

Woah, dude.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 04:58:26 pm »

Glad you could weigh in.   

Anyways, this idea wouldn't really be worth the effort for the amount of work it would take.   Self modifying code is damned tricky to get working, in a large environment like DF.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 05:52:43 pm »

Oh, okay.  I was just wondering if proceduralized randomness was an option; since it isn't, I'll drop it.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 07:45:45 pm »

chill brah.

someone might actually do this eventually.

the only real problem with full custom artifacts is that the effects have to be integrated with dwarf fortress.