Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have bodies take up space  (Read 1610 times)

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Have bodies take up space
« on: May 01, 2010, 11:27:23 am »

My initial thought would be to simply have dead bodies fill some amount of space upon death.

The purpose for this is then you could have some number for whether a square is passable (like each dwarf body is value 4, and a square that totals 80 in body points would be considered impassable)... because yeah, I want to thwart goblin seiges by stuffing my front door with their my dead.

NotQuiteJesus

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Herod.
    • View Profile
Re: Have bodies take up space
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 02:49:53 pm »

Like this but smaller?
Oh, peachy.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 05:57:15 pm »

No, like that but with goblic corpses and drofs standing.
Hello Hunam

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 06:16:24 pm »

Nooooo, like that but LARGER!  This IS Dwarf Fortress, after all. :)

I'm not sure how I feel about regular bodies blocking tiles, but it would be totally awesome to be able to build barricades out of corpses.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 06:35:27 pm »

Like this but smaller?

My mind jumped to Schindler's List when I saw that...

Anyway, bodies piling up and eventualy blocking passages could be interesting.

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 09:08:15 pm »

Build -> construction -> Wall -> Corpses

Macabre constructions. Or alternately you could choose more specific body parts, like bones, teeth, horns, the tip of the pinky on the left hand. This all probably would be way more applicable when material determines how effective walls are at things that currently are constant for all constructions. Right now a wall of bones would be watertight and not cause a dorf to go insane when he saw his wife's recently exhumed corpse in his bedroom wall. Which I would very much want to be possible to happen.

Urist McMaleWidow recently saw his spouse's remains used in construction.

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 11:13:54 am »

Here's my continued thought for this:

1) Since body sizes are already included in all raws, we could simply have a set number that must be exceeded for a hall to become impassable.  If we assume 40 dwarves as the standard for a clog to happen then in the new system you need 2.4 million size units to block a square.

2) There would be a direct linear relationship between the number of size units in a square and the amount of a units speed is available to it in crossing the square.  This would simulate the need for units to crawl over the bodies.  There could also be a direct and inverse relationship with a units agility.  As super agile unit could jump over the pile like Jackie Chan.

3) Decay would shrink the piles over time.

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 11:28:32 am »

On second thought, I was just looking through the raws and see that Dragons are 25 million size units, and bronze colossus is 9 million... so they wouldn't be allowed to move at all, much less in dorfy hallways.

This needs more tinkerin' .... dorfy tinkerin'....

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 12:32:26 pm »

This should work with all items. E.g n rocks -> rock pile, n guts, body parts etc -> pile of remains, rocks+ores+weapons-> debris pile (mixed piles) this would fix quantum stockpile exploit. Although i am sure it was suggested before

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 03:07:30 pm »

We LIKE the quantum stockpile exploit!  :(
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 03:37:41 pm »

Tiles filled in this manner should count as ramps. You need to kill two tiles worth of goblins on top of one another to block the way.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 06:55:01 pm »

oh and mining through piles and piles of dead (rotting) goblins (cats, elves, humans...) would be fun...

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 12:32:06 am »

My mind jumped to Schindler's List when I saw that...
:o
(Anyone else imagining Urist's List, where a Dwarf helps a group of elves avoid being thrown into the lava?) ;D

god help me I lol'd. But yeah building walls out of the dead would be sweet. How about Commissioning a throne to be made entirely out of Skulls?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.