Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Few questions on creating new Workshops/items  (Read 556 times)

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Few questions on creating new Workshops/items
« on: May 24, 2010, 02:27:48 pm »

So, I started to collect stuff for my personal, well, collection.
Now I sort of found that I don't want to play without graphics, so the next week I have time left, so, might as well try stuff out on my own.

I've stumbled into a few uncertainties while doing so, which is why I ask:

1. Is it possible to make a workshop either require a free Z-Level above it, or require to be placed above ground, to work?

2. Can the speed of reactions be altered, can a workshop just be a faster, and more expensive, version of a standard workshop?

3. If I make a new weapon, do I also need to add a weapon entity and reactions, or will dwarves automatically be able to forge a sword out of it?

4. Can weapons actually break? I didn't quite get the material statistics so far.

5. Is it possible to produce a workshop that creases steam or smoke, or make it create items that do so? I was thinking, maybe have a smelter or furnace produce an item that smokes, like rotting corpses create Miasma, and then 'decay' into ash or something similar.

6. Can I make a reaction or building require a specific item like black sand? Or a vial of blood?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 03:56:20 pm by UnLimiTeD »

... How long have I been away?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Few questions on creating new Workshops/items
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 05:05:45 pm »

1. No
2. No
3. Can you rephrase? What is a weapon entity? Which sword do you want to forge OUT OF A WEAPON?
4. No.
5. You can make it to produce a stone which instantly burns and boils away. You should set its boiling temp and ignition point below room temperature.
6. Yep, but sadly not the sand (you cannot get items out of containers for reactions).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Few questions on creating new Workshops/items
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:03:03 pm »

Thanks for the answers.

Hmm, so not the sand, but a very specific stone might work. More complicated, though.

As for nr.3, I misstyped, I wanted to ask if I add a material, aka, a metal for example, and want to forge a sword out of it, do I need to add a reaction "make sword out of material", or will those options automatically be available if the metal is available for weapons (not brittle, etc)?

Oh, and will that burning stone leave something?
Like, say, ash?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:14:09 pm by UnLimiTeD »

... How long have I been away?