Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [DF2010] Pump destroys objects?  (Read 507 times)

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[DF2010] Pump destroys objects?
« on: May 14, 2010, 11:37:56 pm »

So my current fortress has a nice drowning trap in the entrance corridor, and like most of my drowning traps I have built it so that the water can be flushed out and refilled, allowing dwarves to go and loot invaders who fall into it.  Unlike my previous drowing traps which needed screw pumps to bring water up to their level and emptied via gravity, my current drowning trap is just below the level of the nearby river, and so fills up to its natural level and thus uses a screw pump for emptying. 

My first combat test of the drowning trap proved a success, dropping an entire party of goblin ambushers into it effortlessly.  However, getting the loot out has proven problematic.  When I activate the pump to flush the trap, all the corpses and items are pulled to the screw pump by the water flow.  This was expected and normal.  However, when some of the objects arrived at the screw pump's location, they disappeared, not to be seen again.  None of the items appeared on the other end of either of the two screw pumps used to empty it, and none got stuck in them.  They are simply... gone. 

Is this normal behavior for screw pumps?  Will I need to start placing some wall grates to prevent this happening? 

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF2010] Pump destroys objects?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 11:46:56 pm »

I would like to add a new detail.  Despite no bodies being visable, a miasma is now eminating from the area from which the pump draws its water. 

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:57:47 pm »

So wait, you're saying when you [k] over the piles of stuff, there are absolutely no body parts, bodies, etc?
I've never heard of this type of behavior for screw pumps.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 12:03:48 am »

Try looking at its 't' menu, on other buildings sometimes things show there instead of in 'k'.

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 12:07:02 am »

I've had items turn invisible when pushed around with magma.  I made a similar death trap, but with magma and not water, for caravans.  The idea was to burn away all of the crap items and leave behind the iron and other magma safe materials.  An odd thing happened though, when I did mass reclaim I noticed my dwarves carrying items that should have been destroyed (like clothing).  Looking closer I noticed they were picking them up from squares that looked empty.  I could even loo(k) at the squares and nothing would be there.  However, if I went through my stocks menu I could see the items there.  Not certain this is the same thing going on with you, but it sort of seems like liquids moving stuff around can cause them to turn invisible (and become magma proof I guess).

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 01:03:57 am »

I had an unbuilt grate completely vanish when caught in a rapidly flooding tunnel.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 01:27:07 am »

I've had some wood vanish when pushed around by water.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 01:30:52 am »

Hmm, maybe that is what is doing it.