Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bone blocks?  (Read 924 times)

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bone blocks?
« on: May 20, 2010, 03:38:01 pm »

After reading this thread over in General discussions: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57634.0

I began to wonder if it would be possible to mod in bone blocks that you could build things out of. In a new building, if necessary, have a bonecrafter grind down bone, let's say at least 5 pieces, mash it together and hold it together with glue (hoof) and, viola, bone blocks.
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Bone blocks?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 03:51:53 pm »

it WAS possible, in the last version. Now, I'm not so sure. BONE seems to have been removed, as such. and no one can get corpsepieces to work right.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 04:51:32 pm »

Just gonna write this as I come up with it...

Bone is no longer an item type, but its still a material. You should be able to use it for blocks. Give the following a try:
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:BONE] <- replace A with whatever reagent is bones.
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:CAT:BONE] in case the above doesnt work

As for reagents, put a reaction class tag in the bone, hoof, etc material templates (much like leather and fat have) then use 
   [REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:BONE] replace BONE with what you have for reaction class.

This should take bones and produce bone blocks. If you use this method though, its gonna see blocks as a reagent as well. You may have to make a fake bone material and use that for the product, also much like leather works.

So, copy the bone template, call it BONE_BLOCK_TEMPLATE or something, and add
   [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:BONE_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BONE_BLOCK]
to the block bone template.

Then, we gotta add the bone block material to the creatures, else the game gets confused. Add this line
   [ADD_MATERIAL:BONE_BLOCK:BONE_BLOCK_TEMPLATE]
to 'b_detail_plan_default' under [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]

For the reaction, reagents and product would be:
   [REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:BONE]that last one may be redundant now...
      [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:BONE_BLOCK]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:BONE_MAT]

Look up Shoastshouls modding guide if it something doesnt work. Put it on dffd if you get it to work, ill add to the make-meat-blocks mod, hehe.

Edit: whoops name typo.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 05:18:17 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 05:07:04 pm »

;) thanks for the reference Grimlocke.

As it stands right now, I have no working bone reaction. I've done excessive testing on this and hope that eventually something comes up.

I think bone items are possible, but not actual bone, horn, hoof, sHELL...
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 08:38:43 am »

Thanks all, I'll have to give it a try and see what i can come up with.
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.