Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking for suggestions to eliminate migrants...  (Read 2694 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for suggestions to eliminate migrants...
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 01:07:57 pm »

Seal off your fortress from the outside world. Create a shallow, impoverished fortress that the migrants head into. There they mill about the meeting zone, drink from murky ponds, and try to hunt bugs until goblins periodically come by and slaughter them all.

As your fortress is sealed off from the surface you can completely ignore them. If you want to treat them well you can even use the migrants to build up an above ground castle that is painted red with the blood of migrants. Make them build a few barrels to store some above ground crops in so they have something to eat for the brief time that they're alive.

If any of them survive a goblin siege (no traps, no military, no weapons) they are awesome enough to be allowed underground into the proper fortress.

LordMelvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 03:03:30 pm »

That sounds very interesting.  I'd love to see it!

I can't imagine any 9x9 embark would do well on a netbook.

http://rapidshare.com/files/390080368/region1.with.island.embark.zip.html

here's my startersave for the location. Almost guaranteed to have no migrants (but to be safe, you might want to channel a little of the southern tip of the island away...), and extremely unlikely to see caravans. Watch out for shark-man sieges...
This space unintentionally left blank.

returntonull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 05:00:15 am »

Make dwarves butcherable.

Remove the dwarves cannibalism taboo, and bam... constant food supply. I don't remember if making them butcherable causes any other bugs with behavior though, but who cares. Migrant butchering. Migrant butchering. Migrant butchering. Omnomnomnom.

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 09:03:55 am »

If i dont want migrants, i simply draft them all into the military with copper spears only, and designate them as 'sergants' and use them as rank filers when im getting seiged. if any of them live, i allow them to leave the military or promote them if their civie skil isent very useful.

although this isent a very quick way of getting rid of them.

another way (the way i usualy use if my military is in good shape) is use them as gladiators
pretty self Explanatory  :D

Or just dwarven microwave them if your totally viod of creativity  ;)
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 11:03:42 am »

Cavern explorers. Assigned to a burrow surrounded by cage traps.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 08:41:08 pm »

I stick levers at the end of long tunnels. The levers are linked to floodgates, which close behind the dwarf. I use the Profile of the lever so only a specific dwarf will pull it. Dwarf goes in, pulls the lever, floodgate slams shut and he starves to death.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 08:47:13 pm »

Fodder for the flak cannon, or targets :P
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 09:21:37 pm »

I think your best bet is just a simple drop pit with a manual atom smasher. Automatic atom smashers are stupidly dangerous.

So...
  • Dig out a 5x5 (or however big) pit with a 1 tile wide entrance.
  • At the bottom of the pit, put an atom smasher linked to a lever (for manual operation).
  • Have a locked door at the bottom to allow accidentally stuck dwarves to exit.
  • Put a retracting bridge over the pit.
  • Put a pressure plate in the doorway and link it to the retracting bridge. Remember to set it to trigger on civilians.
  • Zone the top of the pit as a meeting zone.
  • Zone everywhere else as a 'safe' burrow.
  • Add all dwarves you want to keep to the 'safe' burrow.

Migrants will automatically path to the pit and get dropped into it. You can then review and smash them at your leisure via the lever.

To preserve the pets, put a number of pet-proof doors (tightly closed) in front of the pit. Pets move slowly it's unlikely you'll get many trapped in the pit this way. I'd suggest at least 2 pet-proof doors in a row.

Also note that if the dwarven civ for a world is dead, you'll still get the first 2 or so waves of migrants (but then nothing). The first 2 waves seem to be hardcoded or something.
or you could leave out the atom-smasher and let them starve to death
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:26:16 pm by uber pye »
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 11:11:55 pm »

Personally I have just started slaughtering immagrants, but what I found is quite a nice and interesting way. Seel up your fortress, then give them the plant gathering skill and whatever equipment they come with, IE in my case one guy had a silver axe. They are now barely surviving on what they gather and brew and what they can create, 20 have died the few remaining are starving stranded attempting to build shelter before the goblins come. Its all very interesting.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 01:17:02 am »

I'm just going to build a migrant smasher and set them to a burrow underneath it. Gonna kill off the 17 individuals, who i have named and already have in a burrow near the machine, who have no friends or family, except the 3-4 loners with useful skills.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 01:41:31 am »

I'd go with the prior suggestion. Make them a military squad, order them to move where you want to dispose of them, and do them in. No need trapping a meeting hall ;D
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 01:52:15 am »

you could start on a map with elephants or something and try to get the migrants to play stacks on.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 07:30:32 am »

Create an entrance to your fort lined with upright spikes hooked to a repeater (or lever with a repeat pull job).  That should do the trick.  Those that survive will give your doctors good experience before you euthanise them.

Option 2 is to do teh same, but instead of entrance, a burrow that the migrants are all assigned to.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 11:02:06 am »

Spear catchers are probably the most useful thing for them.

If you don't want to bother with it, assign them to a burrow that is over a retracting bridge. Below the retracting bridge will be a cavern with no way to return once they're dumped into the cavern. Hook the bridge up to a repeater. They will all happily run over to their new burrow and then plummet into the cavern, never to return.
Pages: 1 [2]