Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins and Cages  (Read 691 times)

tailpipe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins and Cages
« on: May 13, 2010, 07:37:46 pm »

Ok so i have a sh*t load of goblins stuck in cage traps and i have a pit of doom to chuck em in.

However whenever I tell my dwarves to throw the goblin in they run off as soon as they open the cage.

How do i get them to throw them in the pit?

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins and Cages
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 07:50:48 pm »

If your pit of doom is bottomless, the simplest solution is to just dump the items the goblins have on them, then dump the entire cage in the pit.

Otherwise, a "good enough" method might be to build out over the pit of doom, build the cage, link it to a lever, construct a wall so the goblin can't escape, pull the lever, and drop the segment of the "bridge" your goblin is on.

Goblins are fiesty and will probably try to escape if you order them to be pitted from any distance beyond the edge of the pit itself. You could try putting your stockpile of cages on the pit edge...
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 07:51:41 pm »

Lots of ideas and tips in that thread for disposing of caged beasties. There are other threads about too.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55907.0

It sounds to me like you need to disarm your captives (if you aren't doing that already) and move them closer to the pit before you try to throw them in to stop them from escaping.

tailpipe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 08:10:54 pm »

How do i throw in the whole cage?
Or how do i construct cages near my pit?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 03:32:15 pm »

The same way you build them anywhere else.  (b)uild, cage (j).

Building them near your pit won't help.  Your haulers instinctively flee in terror the instant the cage opens.

You can dump the entire cage by making a garbage dump interactivity zone, looking at the cage, and setting it to be (d)umped.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 05:15:59 pm »

If you make a pit for tossing goblins in, do NOT let any part of the zone be on ground your dwarves can walk on. I've found sometimes with 31.03 that they'll try to release the goblin on the ground instead of chucking them into the pit.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.