Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Edit: Nevermind  (Read 907 times)

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Edit: Nevermind
« on: May 20, 2010, 09:58:14 am »

I was able to change a few things I get my Netbook up to 25FPS. Should have tried longer before asking for help, sorry.

So I play (on the same save) on both my Netbook and my PC. With the new version I am now getting about 5-7FPS on my Netbook and am capped at 25FPS (thinking of raising that, though) on my PC. When I started my fortress I was getting a comfortable 15FPS on my netbook, but the 5-7 is just hard to enjoy.

So I go and fiddle around in the setting. I change my "Print Mode" to VBO (I have no idea what any of this is XD) and I manage to get my FPS up to 11, so, good. Then I go to turn Temperature and Weather off and see how much of an effect I get from that. My FPS goes down to 2-3.  :\

That can't be right, right? But, when I go and turn them back on, my FPS goes back up to ~11. Are there factors I am confused about in FPS?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:29:35 am by JakeTamber »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS confuses me. :\
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 09:59:41 am »

Did you try turning the print mode back to default and then turning off temperature and weather?

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS confuses me. :\
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:07:35 am »

You cap it at 25 fps?  Wow.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Edit: Nevermind
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:52:38 pm »

I have to concur, once I hit 20-25 fps the game really becomes a drag.  So, may I ask, what is your reasoning for capping at 25?  better control?  I can see wanting things slowed down in some situations, but I wouldn't want it at that speed all of the time.

With that said, I see some people have posted they capped at 250fps or 666fps or some high number--does that really make a difference when you embark?  For the first season or so it is unbelievably fast anyway and someone in my embark group is nearly always idle simply because I haven't built enough infrastructure yet.  Unless I just have them pick berries all the time...

igless