Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with my military...  (Read 684 times)

eab83

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Problem with my military...
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:41:52 pm »

So I follow instructions as to using this new alerts system and scheduling, make a little squad of 5 dwarfs, assign a uniform... and instead of being good little beardlings and training like I want them to, they are caught in a loop of running off to get equipment, only moving about 3-5 spaces then returning to where they once stood. I assigned an armory quartermaster, dunno if that has anything to do with it.

They won't do it forever, they will drink and eat before killing themselves, and the leader of the squad manages to make his way to the weapon rack to do his lesson or whatever, and must have practiced on his own cause he is proficient in some of the basics, but most of the others get caught in this aggravating loop. Kind of want to get them in line before my traps get a real test...

Any help is appreciated.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with my military...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 05:49:06 pm »

At the moment it's best to leave them on the inactive schedule - 'training' is buggy and rarely works.

When set to 'inactive', your military dwarves will do 'individual combat drill', which gains them skill much faster than the 'training' schedule does.

With the running for equipment thing, it's possibly a bug with the uniforms settings: the default ones (leather, metal, archer) seem to never decide what to equip, so it's more reliable to assign things to each dwarf manually.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:00:39 am »

I've noticed my squads dropping all their armor and weapons and getting new ones at odd times.  I think it might be happening after some new equipment is built.  The arsenal dwarf seems to like assigning them newer stuff.  So if you have production going, it might be good to remove the arsenal dwarf until production stops or you need them to change.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 06:35:19 am »

This "getting equipment loop" was something that put me a bit off the 31.1.

I DID find workaround.

First, I stopped asignin them uniforms. I manually equip every dwarf that needs to be.
AND I do not use scheduling.

Works like a charm. But I COULD be just scheduling bug(s), I did not try to assign uniforms since letting them do individual drills.

Also, I can confirm dwarfs changing their equipment whenever a new piece is forged/made. Did not try removing arsenal dwarf yet.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

eab83

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 11:27:13 am »

Thank you all, setting up their inventories individually on an item by item basis solved their dance, and setting no orders through the entire inactive schedule makes them train up just fine. It all came together just in time to handle a berserk dwarf...

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 06:15:20 pm »

The equipment dance comes into play when you make a new piece of equipment that is of a higher quality than what they're currently wearing, so they all go charge the armor storage to replace their gear.

Except for leggings/greaves. They can't seem to tell the difference when picking these up, but later on will notice 'wait this is the wrong leg armour' then go replace it.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.