Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird repetitive natural cave-in  (Read 1055 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird repetitive natural cave-in
« on: May 14, 2010, 08:41:20 pm »

OK so this is what it looks like:
Code: [Select]
   ####
 ##    ##
#        #
#  ##<--F#X
#   # DDF#X
#        #
 ##    ##
   ####

Key:  XX = stairs, ### = pit walls, F = floor, D = what I'm trying to dig through

I found a deep pit feature linking two caverns vertically.  There's this weird tall column of rock or you might call it a stalagmite (not a stalactite) in the center of the pit.  It looked like an awesome place for a stairway.  So I've dug stairs halfway down the walls of the pit to reach the fat stalagmite, and I'm trying to get across some open space in the direction of the arrow in the picture.  I'm also trying to dig through walls of a thinner stalagmite marked D in the picture, that's in my way, but my miners keep dying in cave-ins.  Yet after each time, the site looks the same as before, but caves in again the next time I dig the...

Oh, shit.

I just realized where the cave-ins are coming from:  when I try to tunnel through the small stalagmite to get to the bigger one, the "nose cone" of the thin stalagmite is unsupported, and the whole thing drops one Z-level and squishes the miner inside.  After the dust clears, everything looks the same as before (because the tip of the thin stalagmite is lowered but still many stories above).  Then I try to mine out the thin stalagmite again, and it drops another Z-level, and so on.

Well!  Glad we cleared that up:  clearly all I have to do is keep doing the same thing, and eventually the thin stalagmite will be completely gone!
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weird repetitive natural cave-in
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 09:06:55 pm »

clearly all I have to do is keep doing the same thing, and eventually the thin stalagmite will be completely gone!

As will all your miners.

But hey, dwarves are expendable.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 10:09:38 pm »

clearly all I have to do is keep doing the same thing, and eventually the thin stalagmite will be completely gone!

As will all your miners.

But hey, dwarves are expendable.

Attention peasants: Grab a pick. You are now on mining duty. Skilled miners please report to the statue garden for your party.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 10:34:47 pm »

Have you tried stairways and supports?

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 02:55:36 am »

Attention peasants: Grab a pick. You are now on mining duty. Skilled miners please report to the statue garden for your party.
Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "on gardening leave" :D
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.