Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Major Rivers + Aquifers  (Read 901 times)

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
Major Rivers + Aquifers
« on: May 13, 2010, 05:33:18 am »

Are they always together? Im finding it difficult to find major rivers with no aquifers. Anyone have any recommended seeds/gens params or tips on finding major rivers? Searching River Yes Aquifer No, usually gives me brooks or Minors.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Major Rivers + Aquifers
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 05:51:21 am »

I've got a 32-wide river that flows into a good ocean. The river has an aquifer but the ocean biome doesn't, so you can just dig straight down as long as you're within about 30 squares of the water's edge.

Sound good?

EDIT: Here's the worldgen parameters. The site is on the east end of the only major river, between a small lake and the ocean.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:28:13 am by Grumman »

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 06:01:01 am »

Not necessarily, but they are rare. Major rivers almost always flow through flat grasslands/forests and those tend to have aquifers. Your best bet is to look near mountains or oceans (and dig down in the ocean biome)
A river flowing into the ocean is, in my opinion, one of the most interesting maps to play with anyway. Lots of fun engineering possibilities.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 08:45:07 am »

Are they always together? Im finding it difficult to find major rivers with no aquifers.
Aquifers seem to follow rivers now wherever logical, i.e. whenever you have a river cutting through a layer of porous rock.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 11:45:55 am »

Grumman excellent, thanks for the Gen Params. Ill give it a go now. As for Aquiferless Major rivers, guess its time to get the old spare computer out and get it genning worlds :D
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.