Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding dead creatures  (Read 670 times)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding dead creatures
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:58:48 pm »

My dwarves keep finding dead pond grabbers and insist on dragging them in.  I've found how to forbid them by default, but there must be one somewhere that they just can't quite get to, and they keep cancelling the job with "can't find path".  How can I find and forbid it?
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding dead creatures
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:53:16 pm »

You might be able to find the bodies by looking under the 'corpses' section in the stocks menu; I'm not sure if dead critters are listed, if they are that's probably your best bet. You get to that by pressing z. You might need to press tab to get the detailed list. Then you can hopefully go through the list and press the zoom key on each entry until you find the problem. You'll need a book keeper for this to work though, i think.

Of course maybe it isn't a corpse but something else your dwarves can't path to? I'd have a look around and make sure there isn't anything they're likely trying to collect but can't because its in a forbidden area, or behind a locked door. Hope that helps.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 12:16:20 am »

You might be able to find the bodies by looking under the 'corpses' section in the stocks menu; I'm not sure if dead critters are listed, if they are that's probably your best bet. You get to that by pressing z.
I've never had the stocks menu let me zoom to anything, at all, ever.

Putting it behind a locked door is how I stop the continuous message spam.  The 'cannot find path' seems to happen when they're pathing through partial water.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 12:29:47 am »

I've never had the stocks menu let me zoom to anything, at all, ever.

Page over to the menu with the items listed, and hit tab to get an expanded list. If you're at the highest precision, you'll get a list of everything in that category, and can zoom to individual items.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 12:35:05 am »

Neat trick... thanks.

I guess it's not a corpse then.  What it is, I may never know, since they have no way to tell me.  :/

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 12:35:17 am »

You can zoom to items with the detailed view you get by pressing tab, but you need a book keeper to have done enough work first. It's in there, I promise you. As far as the corpse problem goes, if this is 40d, is outside refuse gathering off? 'o' then under 'r' i think, it may not be that exact key, but its in the menu. If this is the new version perhaps the menus have changed, but id imagine that option is still there somewhere. I didn't mention that before, but that should solve it if the corpses are outside.

Unless it's a bug, or the job cancellations are down to something else.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 12:36:41 am »

(O)rders --> (F)orbid --> forbid that whole list of stuff.  When you want dead things moved, manually unforbid them using (k) or (d) --> (b) --> (c)
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 12:48:36 am »

As far as the corpse problem goes, if this is 40d, is outside refuse gathering off? 'o' then under 'r' i think, it may not be that exact key, but its in the menu. If this is the new version perhaps the menus have changed, but id imagine that option is still there somewhere. I didn't mention that before, but that should solve it if the corpses are outside.
Good idea.

It seems to not be any form of refuse, since turning off all refuse gathering doesn't halt the nonstop message spam.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 12:49:58 am »

(O)rders --> (F)orbid --> forbid that whole list of stuff.
Already done.  This does nothing to stop the nonstop message spam of whatever nonforbidden objects cause this message since they already exist.  whatever they are.

It's definitely in the underground caves, since if I lock a door between dwarves and the underground, the message goes away.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:56:48 am by Corona688 »

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 01:02:40 am »

Could it be web collection?  Just an idea. You could try turning the auto collect option off in the menu if it isn't already.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 01:10:42 am »

Web collection produces a very different message.  It's off anyway.