Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma melts obsidian and iron?  (Read 772 times)

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma melts obsidian and iron?
« on: May 11, 2010, 08:36:04 pm »

I was tapping into a magma pipe to power my furnaces, which I've done several times before. I had 3 flood gates, 2 obsidian and 1 iron, as well as 2 wall grates, both obsidian. I set them up, linked the floodgates to a trigger (I'm 90% sure they were all linked up using obsidian/mica mechanisms), tapped the magma, pulled the switch. I had to turn the floodgates on and off a few times due to stupid dwarves, and they worked just like they always do. Now that the reservoir is full, I got to close off the floodgates...except they don't exist now. The floodgates are gone, as are the wallgrates. Did something change in 31 that makes magma safe stuff not....magma safe? I'm 100% sure the items were made of the out material listen, even if I'm a little iffy on the mechanisms. But regardless, shouldn't they just deconstruct if they had not magma safe mechanisms? And at the very least, the grates weren't linked to anything, what could have happened? I checked the whole area, and they didn't get pushed down the tunnel or anything, they're just gone?

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma melts obsidian and iron?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 08:40:10 pm »

Obsidian's RAWs are bugged - it has two melting points, and the one that's respected isn't magma safe.

Obsidian wasn't magma safe in 40d.  And they do just deconstruct if they are not magma safe - it might be possible that your mechs/gates/grates got pushed into the magma pipe, which has a "bottomless pit" of sorts at the bottom, so they'd be removed from the map.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:00:42 am »

The flow was coming out of the pipe and filling up tunnel, it seems odd the items would move forward into it, I'll look down below. That sucks about obsidian though, tough lesson learned. The fortress isn't flooded, but I have no protection from magma beasts now. Is there anything I can do to block off a tunnel already full of magma?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 02:28:21 am »

water will make you fresh rock obsidian, which will function as any other natural rock wall, the other option is to engineer a cave-in where you drop a plug.  Natural walls do not deconstruct on cave in, they will just fall, so make the plug 2 z-levels thicker than what you need to block and it should do the trick easily.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 10:09:43 am »

Can dwarves make obsidian by dumping buckets of water onto the magma, or will that just produce steam?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 11:57:57 am »

Can dwarves make obsidian by dumping buckets of water onto the magma, or will that just produce steam?

I think it will work, but the pond zone has to be at least 2 z levels above the magma I think?  I have never tried it myself but remember reading something along these lines.  I think the deal was that if dumped from 1 level above it just steamed up, but 2 levels let it make obsidian.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.