Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sewage compromise: separate cleaning areas from drinking areas  (Read 2060 times)

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sewage compromise: separate cleaning areas from drinking areas
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 11:11:36 am »

I don't like the idea of technical water-dirt management, lest all my Dwarfs die of poop-plague.

I do like the idea of creating a Baths as a construction / attraction. Dwarfs could clean themselves there and relax there. Chests as lockers, Pipe-Sections and Mechanisms to make fountains. Statues. Some Magma+Water engineering could provide (apart from some amusing accidents) hot water and steam to improve the Baths.

Plumbing could be used to create certain workshops that require water. Polising-workshop? Polising could add value to Jewels or stone-goods.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 05:21:27 pm »

This is a great idea.  Not only is it a solid compromise, but it fits well with existing mechanics.

I don't know if you'd need to define new types of water, though; just use the contaminants code.  Right now, when dwarves wash themselves at a well they leave the blood or grime or whatever on the floor. If they just dumped it down the well, that'd make the water unsafe for drinking.

And we already have something that purifies water: the screw pump.

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 04:43:52 am »

I would like cleaning areas, but nothing that absolutely requires (but perhaps can make use of) infinite water.

For baths we would need easier ways to control the water level though. Perhaps a setting on floodgates that allows any water above or below a certain water level through when they're open. This sort of thing would be useful for other things too.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:46:06 am by Blah »
Pages: 1 [2]