Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Layout of circles, triangles as squares on a grid.  (Read 1358 times)

blastrogath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Layout of circles, triangles as squares on a grid.
« on: May 08, 2010, 09:40:38 pm »

Does anyone know of some decent software to help me map out shapes other than rectangles on a grid?  I want to make a fort that's a helical triangular prism and I was hoping to save on graph paper. 

I already figured on rotating it by 15 degrees a floor so I only have to map out a quarter turn and I get sides lining up with the grid often.

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Layout of circles, triangles as squares on a grid.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 12:21:15 am »

You can always just use mspaint and count pixels, not an elegant solution but it's workable.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 02:14:10 am »

For for doing rotations at any angles. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Road
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 02:23:45 am by AngleWyrm »

blastrogath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 12:18:01 pm »

For for doing rotations at any angles. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Road

I don't get what you're refering to there, roads only build as rectangles aligned with the grid as far as I can see.

OK, here's what I figured out for with a spreadsheet:

the triangular helix describes 2 circles, and thus 2 cylinders, yes?  An inner completely filled cylinder, and the outer partially filled cylinder.  I figure an interior cylander radius of 10 will do me, so the outer radius is 20.

I need to plot X,Y for all the points of the triangles. Using (sinX * 20) and (cosX * 20) for each angle X gets me those, I only need 45 degrees worth and I can mirror it to all the other points since I'm using 15 degree rotations.

I use a spreadsheet of (TanX * Y), for every angle X [15,30,45,60,75] and width Y(1 through 46, since 46 is the length of the sides of the triangle).  This gives me a plot of heights to widths for all the connecting lines.

I could make a similar plot for circles using a (sinX * Y) and (cosX * Y) for each angle X and raduis Y.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 12:27:55 pm »

Not exactly what you're looking for, but DF Designer might help.

blastrogath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 12:53:38 pm »

Not exactly what you're looking for, but DF Designer might help.

Looks useful for planning but lacks any of the features I'd need it to have for overall fortress design.  I tend to carve fortresses out of mountains, so I can lay out all the digging easily enough in game once I figure out the shape I want.