Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Teach me C++?  (Read 817 times)

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Teach me C++?
« on: June 05, 2010, 05:28:52 pm »

So I did C++ with Outcast Orange for a week or two, but its been months now and I was gone. I have nearly forgotten all my C++, but I do have codeblocks with curses set up finally. I was wondering if anyone on the forums would be willing to teach me the basics again with a focus on using curses to build a simple roguelike? My msn is atomicwinter@live.com.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Teach me C++?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 05:36:40 pm »

Obligatory codeblocks fistbump.
Anyways, I've been using this tutorial to learn C++. Its a really great, if somewhat slow, tutorial. It's not finished yet however.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 05:38:49 pm »

I used this to learn about pointers. You'll need it some time in the future. It's the first that pops up on Google, lol, but it deserves it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 09:16:00 pm »

Not as in-depth, but humourous and short, I reccomend at least reading through the pointer chapter in Beej's guide to C. It doesn't go on to detail everything that the other one does, but reading through both Beej's and the first chapter of the one Muz linked to, Beej's is shorter, gets somewhere useful faster, and can keep even people who know it all already interested. With the other one, it was so dry and overly explained that I couldn'r follow it without stopping after the first paragraph or so and just glancing at the rest. In my opinion, the in-depth technical one is better if you are already interested in it, and Beej's is great to make you interested.
Eh?
Eh!