Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pick material affects mining speed?  (Read 2452 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pick material affects mining speed?
« on: May 13, 2010, 06:59:29 am »

Pretty much self-explainable - the material that you make picks out of should affect mining speed, and possibly some material couldn't be dug out with one material having the dwarf to pick up another/cancel the designation. This, for once, would eliminate the rather strict lolwut when you can mine out adamantine with a copper pick, create some difficulty, and maybe even
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For me, this only makes sense - it's a tad bit harder to smash a rock to pebbles using iron than bronze. Good idea?

Oh, and sorry if it has been asked already, searching didn't return anything.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
Re: Pick material affects mining speed?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 07:34:10 am »

If you look at how mining actually works it takes different pick material to mine through a specific rock type, but for simpleness it wont diverge to that...

hum...I guess I'm saying that a harder more rigid pick isnt always the best...and would defeat how you think it should work.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 09:00:07 am »

If you look at how mining actually works it takes different pick material to mine through a specific rock type, but for simpleness it wont diverge to that...

hum...I guess I'm saying that a harder more rigid pick isnt always the best...and would defeat how you think it should work.
Could you elaborate a bit? I'm curious.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 01:00:08 pm »

it should probably use the same sharpness information that spears use. with a modifier for mass, since a heavy pick will do more than a light one. and yeah, i've been thinking about it too, triggered by the mechanics thread that mentioned making picks without having to mine first. you could have a very simple sharp rock to cut into some of the softer rocks at first. you could probably even use a sharp rock to dig into harder rocks than what your pick is made from, but it would degrade quickly.