Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inorganic Forgotten Beast! Whatever shall I do?  (Read 2865 times)

Thornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Inorganic Forgotten Beast! Whatever shall I do?
« on: May 07, 2010, 02:15:17 pm »

Punch it, apparently

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Igawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Inorganic Forgotten Beast! Whatever shall I do?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 02:21:17 pm »

Lucky it wasn't one of those body+shell types, otherwise you would have an endlessly regenerating source of ash, a good punching bag for your wrestlers, and forever job interrruptions.

Hmm...would such a thing produce coatings of ash, or would it make the usable ash 'item' for making potash and the like? Perhaps when it dies (never).

Thornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 02:28:53 pm »

Hmm...would such a thing produce coatings of ash, or would it make the usable ash 'item' for making potash and the like? Perhaps when it dies (never).

Well, there are a couple piles of ash around the corpse (aside from its limbs). I've never really worked wish ash before so I've no idea if those piles could actually be used though.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 04:09:51 pm »

There is a way to kill literally anything in this game. Being submerged in lava kills basically anything. If not, being submerged in cooling lava is absolutely, positively sure to do the trick. Ice works the same way I think.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 04:13:29 pm »

There is a way to kill literally anything in this game. Being submerged in lava kills basically anything. If not, being submerged in cooling lava is absolutely, positively sure to do the trick. Ice works the same way I think.

Not if the creature has a homeotherm high enough to turn the within two tiles of it into mist. For everything else it does work just as fine as you suggest.

That is, if the creature is magma immune first. Which is a pretty big if.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 04:44:35 pm »

What the heck was that beast made of, cotton candy?

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:17:35 pm »

Ash.

He said it right there.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 07:34:07 pm »

You're PUNCHING ARMS OFF?!
I haven't seen that before.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 07:42:54 pm »

What the heck was that beast made of, cotton candy?
Ash...  I suppose maybe it's easier to break than other materials.  After all, I can' imagine that a forgotten beast made out of, say, paper mache would be as dangerous as one made out of one of the two spoiler materials.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 08:54:31 pm »

That might be the only creature in 0.31 that a wrestler can actually kill.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 09:16:43 pm »

Well... that's certainly a far cry from a large, three-horned humanoid made of faint yellow diamond.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 03:34:55 am »

I've seen a wrestler kill a mountain goat! Granted, it took him about one hour real time at 100 FPS (seriously), but in the end, he managed to break two of it legs and then finally strangle it to death. Also, hoary marmots.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 09:06:47 am »

I've seen a wrestler kill a mountain goat! Granted, it took him about one hour real time at 100 FPS (seriously), but in the end, he managed to break two of it legs and then finally strangle it to death. Also, hoary marmots.

...You're joshing me.  I accidentally walled in a bared-handed and militarily-incompetent dwarf with an FB (four-horned giant corpulent blind cobra).  She fled madly for a quite a while; eventually I took pity and enabled plant-gathering labor for her (totally forgot to consider whether or not she needed to stockpile harvests before munching).  Didn't matter, as the beastie kept interrupting her while she hunted for vermin.

At last I decided she needed a properly dwarfy death, and drafted her into an army of one.  (Plus one Dwarven Shield [tm].)  She ripped off and tore open its four horns, and did some bruising and battering of beastie's body, tail, and throat, before it finally ripped her chest open.  (The Dwarven Shield escaped unscathed.  I can only assume that 2010 has dorf mommies putting the kids in backpacks instead of chest slings.)

The FB killed at least eight more dorfs, about five wardogs, about ten various stray animals, smashed in a bunch of outdoor carp shops, and direly wounded two of my legendaries, but the hapless mediocre armorer's still alive, and her main negative thought is the lack of chairs.  You think she'd be bitching about the lack of her upper right arm, but no...  it's the lack of dining room seating.  For her sheer badassery, she has received a smoothed obsidian hospital room with a kitten cage.  At least until the next season--if she doesn't stop going down red by then, she may need the lava treatment...

Although I gotta admit, if she ever has a mood, I'd like to see what she'd engrave...

Anecdotes aside, critters do seem to be way tougher in this version.  It's kind of hard to test on my map, since whatever I did to generate the world seems to have resulted in the extinction of humanity and all above-ground animals.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 11:49:52 am »

Miners, actually, are extremely powerful now. But with the new mil system it's hard to just select a dwarf because they're near the enemy, especially if you have a lot of dwarves.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 12:29:05 pm »

Miners, actually, are extremely powerful now. But with the new mil system it's hard to just select a dwarf because they're near the enemy, especially if you have a lot of dwarves.
Unfortunately I can't spare the awesome miners as my military is completely bugged with the never train / always train.  Ripping down the barracks each time I want them to change doesn't work so great.