Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Things you do to prepare your adventurer  (Read 2006 times)

Things you do to prepare your adventurer
« on: May 06, 2010, 06:20:43 pm »

Usually when I start my adventurers, I have a very specific plan for them. For example:

The Anus of Discontent's Twelve-Step Program to Awesome Adventuring

Step One: Give them expert in a weapon, then adequate swimmer, and novice shield user, armor user, and dodger.

Step Two: Run around the starting town mapping out all of the houses and shops; make sure to note warriors.

Step Three: Pick up ~1000 (+/- 300) rocks.

Step Four: Throw them all at your feet. (Repeat as necessary until legendary thrower and archer are achieved)

Step Five: Get ambushed in the wilderness by some wolves.

Step Six: Lay on the ground and let them wail on you until you achieve legendary shield user, being careful not to over exert yourself from blocking them all. Make sure
you move when you find yourself becoming tired of blocking. If you over exert yourself, you'll most likely pass out.

Step Seven: Stand up, and wait, letting them attack you. This will give you legendary dodger after a time. It'll take a while, and the above problem could also be present. Just move around when you start getting tired.

Step Eight: Wrestle them all by breaking their joints, then strangling each of them to death. The best way I've found to do this is switching your attack preference to "Close Combat" and wrestling each one just enough to cripple it. Then move a couple spaces and begin on the next. After they're all crippled in a big circle, move around to each one and strangle it to death. If one tries to make a run for it, break off of the one you're strangling and re-cripple it. You have all the time you need! (Repeat as necessary until legendary wrestler is achieved)

(OPTIONAL)Step Nine: Come back to town and ask some of the warriors to join you. Preferably hammerers. Lashers are useless because they can't really cripple anything unless they inflict enough pain for it to give in, and that's rare. Every crossbowman I've ever had has a glass spine that shatters when so much as a hammer touches it, and if not, they run out of arrows and resort to using their crossbow as a bludgeoning weapon. Swordmen kill things, and don't YOU want do deliver the finishing blow? However, hammerers smash your target's bones just enough to leave them a gurgling puddle of muscle that you can ram your sword through for ULTIMATE GLORY!

Step Ten: Wander over to the nearest goblin fort.

Step Eleven: Roll your Anus Co.® Ten Sided Percentage Polygons™ (NOT INCLUDED WITH GUIDE)**. Designate one to be your tens place and one to be your ones place. Your pair should be color coded for easy usage. This will be a percentage. There's a 98% chance (Anything higher than a 01) that your adventurer attacks the goblins that you see, a 1% chance (You have to roll a 01) that you befriend them, and a 1% chance (You have to roll a 00) that you attack and kill everyone in the immediate area (Including your party).

Step Twelve: Use the Anus Co.® Ten Sided Percentage Polygons™ for ALL of your adventuring needs! Thinking about accepting that quest from the warlord? Assign stupid percentages, like: "Anything above a fifty, I take the quest. Anything below fifty, I don't take it. But if I roll fifty, I attack the warlord!" Then roll. Want to buy that expensive armor piece that, but find that you can't afford it? How about: "Anything above 40, I leave and come back when I have the money, 01-40 I steal it and run away, or 00 I kill him and take all of his awesome armors! Let the dice decide your fate, no matter how dumb the outcome!

** You can just use two D10 dice if you don't want to spend the extra money on my 24 karat gold and cut diamond dice...

The best rolls I've had are when I assign something completely stupid to a random number, then end up rolling that number... The result is usually hilarity!

Just use the dice to have fun!

Good luck, adventurer! May all of your travels be fruitful and glorious!
Hey, look what I did!
Dr. Melon cancels read post: spelling incredibly poor.

Kraftwerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things you do to prepare your adventurer
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:33:12 pm »

This actually looks fun, I will try! (If you don't have the dice, you can always use a random number generator)

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:01:05 pm »

Most of my adventurers seem to start off the same way.  First up spend some time exploring their home town and talking to people.  Find out about as many temples in the local area as possible, then join a religion.  If possible, find a temple with a sacred pool and swim in it - then take some of the water in a waterskin to use later on.... possibly for pouring into the sacred pools of temples of other god's just before massacring all the priests.  That's the kind of preparation I'm interested in!

Last thing before heading out in the world to look for fun things to do: check out the shops in the home town and make a note of any interesting (pleasingly decorated) items that it might be worth come back to shop for later on.  If possible I usually try not to start any aggro with my home civ, so I'd try to buy rather than steal.
Not always, of course, he he he.

Other than that, things normally work out quite differently for each adventurer depending what kind of mood I'm in.  Things are normally random enough without introducing a dice-man style randomness, just from my own natural brain fuzziness.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 12:10:45 pm by pickupsticks »

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 11:15:19 pm »

I'll roam the wilds and expand my map until I hit Master in my weapon skill, then begin quests and elf slaughters and other good stuff.

Naturally, most don't make it that far, usually due to those damn Giant Desert Scorpions making me lose my weapon. But those who do usually go down in the history books...Until a stray arrow smacks him in the throat.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 06:24:06 pm »

I just take quests and kill stuff immediately.

I actually don't usually die very quickly.

Azulth

• Bay Watcher
  • No.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 09:39:29 am »

I'm doing it now, but with just a d10 for MOAR RANDUM.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 11:06:17 am »

One exploit tactic i've found is that if you wrestle with a giant, ettin, or somesuch, the fighter and wrestler skills shoot up to legendary really really fast. Being a legendary fighter makes your other weapon skills a lot more effective, even if they're not too high themselves.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 06:15:07 pm »

I found something too : find a bronze colossus and come to him with a few of your guys. While he is busy charging and attacking your fellow meat shields, hit him. He won't die, as you know. You can hit him for quite a while : I went to him with 2 spearelves, 1 speardwarf and 1 crossbowelf. The crossbow elf died, but the two others got legendary wrestler and every shot the colossus had was dodged, parried or glanced away on their wooden clothes. The dwarf got Elite Speardwarf. For my part, I am got from Expert Axeman to legendary +8. In about 30 minutes.

Careful : was only tested once, you'd better have some experience to build up your stamina, shield use and dodging skill.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 08:21:15 pm »

Where does one find a colossus? I have never seen one and I've been adventuring for a very long time.

I know you have to get a quest for it, but the only quests I have ever received meant that I had to go to a cave and get lost forever...
Hey, look what I did!
Dr. Melon cancels read post: spelling incredibly poor.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 08:49:03 pm »

Where does one find a colossus? I have never seen one and I've been adventuring for a very long time.

I know you have to get a quest for it, but the only quests I have ever received meant that I had to go to a cave and get lost forever...
You can just Travel if you're underneath a site. You usually don't have to venture that far to find whatever you were quested to kill.

Dae: You had elf companions!? You're doing it wrong.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 11:10:15 pm »

Occasionally I wander off to the nearest cave and start spelunking, but the caverns are pretty damn unnavigable.  Just recently I went back to my hobby of killing off entire cities.  It's much easier now, since armor is such a huge advantage.  A few tips for going batshit insane on your own civilization:

-Always play human.  Otherwise, you won't have anything to wear or steal, and overall their civ sites are more developed.
-Cutting weapons are best for starting with.  They aren't terribly great against armored foes, but are practically instant kills for anything else.
-Start at an armor shop.  Kill the shopkeeper and replace your armor with whatever improvements you can find.
-When you find a weapon shop, make sure you pick up a stabbing weapon (and maybe a bashing weapon).  Between your three options, you should be able to take out most foes.  Stabbing and bashing weapons are preferable against armored foes, since they can cause extreme pain and organ damage.
-Keep supplied.  This isn't too tough; just grab a food barrel from a hovel.  Also doubles as a humorous throwing weapon!
-Archers are significantly less threatening in this version.  Keep armored and shielded, and make taking them out a priority.  They are poorly armored, so a few quick cuts will leave the bleeding, or preferably, armless.
-Other armored foes are going to die by inches, which means more opportunity for you to take hits.  Use terrain to your advantage to separate them from the pack.
-Wrestling is full of utility.  If you have a free hand, you can pull the armor off of a foe.  This means that you can get a bunch of clean hits to the head and chest if they are unconscious.
-Keep in mind the philosophy of "dead enough."  Heavy bleeding is a pretty powerful deterrent and will eventually take out most enemies.  Severed limbs are a death sentence.  Organ damage, especially to the lungs, will also take a foe out of the fight.
-Remember that probably empty building you started in?  Well, stick around long enough, and most everyone will gravitate to that spot.  This means you may have as many as five arrows heading for your face the moment you open that door up.  Be prepared!
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 04:43:19 pm »

build up a mass of scar tissue,it helps them build Recuperation, Toughness and Disease Resistance.
fist fighting bears to build fighting skill
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 12:08:45 pm »

I know this is a bit silly but where am I best to find rocks? I cant seem to find any, plenty of boulders but not rocks.

Never mind. Boulders = Infinite rocks xD
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.