Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF-like game you might not know about  (Read 2282 times)

silantrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF-like game you might not know about
« on: May 13, 2010, 02:53:39 pm »

Hey there.

Thought I'd mention this to ya'll. Might not appeal to some, but to each his own.

There's a game out there called "Clonk," the most recent* version of which is called "Clonk Rage." It's a platformer-type game that plays a lot like DF, with the biggest two differences being that the worlds you play in aren't persistent, randomly generated, but rather "screens" that your "clonks" live in, and it's a 2d sidescroller. Also of note is the fact that your clonks rarely act on their own, and it is a very graphically based game; when digging into the ground, dirt, rock, gold, ore, etc. are kept track of on a per-pixel basis. The game is full of missions, which can be played cooperatively with friends, in which you strive to achieve objectives such as establishing settlements, collecting all the gold on the map, etc.. There are also deathmatch modes that go hand in hand with the game's different "packs," which give you access to different settings such as medieval, magic, space-age, western, etc. It's an interesting game that may keep you occupied between DF releases; it's almost like another artist's interpretation of the same subject. I don't mean to draw attention away from DF with this post, but I figure people that enjoy DF may also enjoy this lighthearted game. If I've caught your attention, check it out here: www.clonk.de

*technically, the most recent release is a pre-alpha build of a new version, called "OpenClonk." The original designer made his money off it, then closed up shop and released it as open source. You can get Clonk Rage for free now, and if you know anything about programing you might consider helping the OpenClonk project.

silantrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF-like game you might not know about
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 03:19:02 pm »

oops. :P maybe I should search topics before I post more often. Clonk just seemed so obscure though... especially considering it was made by a German, and most of its community is German. Sorry guys.

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 03:46:02 pm »

the controls are horrible!

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 03:50:30 pm »

oops. :P maybe I should search topics before I post more often. Clonk just seemed so obscure though... especially considering it was made by a German, and most of its community is German. Sorry guys.

No worries - still a good game to remember
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 07:09:24 pm »

I used to play a ton of Clonk Planet with my neighbor on the LAN.  It's great, both for co-op building and for versus battles, but the glitches and problems in Clonk Planet are less forgivable than the ones in DF, because in DF they result in hilarity and in CP they result in all eight of my effing Clonks being suspended in mid-air on rogue pixels of dirt, and you can't carve a fortification into the edge of your map to let the water out when it rains.

A million times, I've wished for a pick for my Clonks, so they could harvest ore or break through stone without having to use explosives.
I brake for stumble bumblings

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 12:01:19 pm »

the controls are horrible!

Disable jump'n'run.