Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random Embarking mod--possible?  (Read 1326 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Random Embarking mod--possible?
« on: August 16, 2010, 06:38:50 pm »

I would love to see a mod where you have an option for a completely random embark, dwarves, location and all.

All dwarves would already have skills assigned
The embark could be *anywhere*
Goods/animals randomly assigned

So concieveably, you could wind up with six woodcutters, a soapmaker, and a bonecarver at embark, with 12 cats and a mule, in a freezing terrifying biome.  WITH AQUIFERS.  Make the most of it!

Would such a mod be possible? I can't mod or program my way out of a rope reed sack, alas.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: Random Embarking mod--possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 06:40:13 pm »

Oops, that total 8 dwarves.  I am also fail at counting today, it seems :P
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:41:57 pm »

I would love to see a mod where you have an option for a completely random embark, dwarves, location and all.

All dwarves would already have skills assigned
The embark could be *anywhere*
Goods/animals randomly assigned

So concieveably, you could wind up with six woodcutters, a soapmaker, and a bonecarver at embark, with 12 cats and a mule, in a freezing terrifying biome.  WITH AQUIFERS.  Make the most of it!
Eh, what with embark profiles being stored the way they are, I'm not sure this is possible. Definitely not without quite a bit of work. On the other hand, I suspect that choosing a random embark location would be much simpler to program. I'm no coder, though, so don't take my word for it.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 06:46:21 pm »

I think that just a random location could still be cool, actually.  Could someone do this?

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 06:49:56 pm »

I think that just a random location could still be cool, actually.  Could someone do this?
Well, lemme think. How big is the world map? 257x257 or something, right? So, just pick a random number 1-257 twice. Once for x-value, once for y-value. It'd be a pain to count manually though. That's the part I wouldn't know how to handle.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 07:37:48 pm »

I think the best way for a program like that to work would be RNGs develop a legal and random Embark Profile.  Then the program opens and Runs DF to gen a new world.  After that it would start a new game, choose a random spot, embark, and choose the profile it made.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:06:41 am »

If you can fetch menu size and current selection from memory in the item selection screen, this should be fairly trivial to program, as items already cull themselves by price. The other stuff (embark location, size, civ, dwarf skills, etc) I'm almost certain has already been accessed externally, though probably by multiple programmers. Pets are different, but it shouldn't be too intensive to make an array of prices and cull the ones above your budget, depending on whether these are stored together in any structured way in memory.

So yeah, it's probably possible. I'm not the one to do it, but I like the idea. I imagine you'd get a lot of level 1 skills and random one-shot items. If you made probability of selection logarithmic (likelyhood of selecting any particular choice multiplying with points into that choice), you'd get more interesting embarks.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044