Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarves ignore the wounded...  (Read 6361 times)

obsidian razor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dwarves ignore the wounded...
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:54:03 am »

They never go to recover them... even when it's the only job activated for them...

If the job does pop up, they just wander around for a bit before going for a drink or something...

What gives?

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarves ignore the wounded...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 06:59:58 am »

are they allowed to go where the wounded are? If they need to stay in their burrow and the dwarf in need of help is outside it, they won't go I believe.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:12:25 am »

Urist McWorker cancels recover wounded: Is a jerk.

Do you have a hospital zone set up? Maybe they won't recover the wounded if there's nowhere to recover them to.

obsidian razor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 07:36:17 am »

No bans on the area and yes, I have a working hospital and several doctors...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 07:50:16 am »

Hi!

So, they actually do "Recover Wounded" according to the unit list/unit view, but the task is never performed, do I understand that correctly?

If the job didn't show up, I would have speculated you had dwarves who simply see helping others as an imposition on their time (there are characteristics about whether they like to help others or not), but since the dwarf says "I will do it!", that shouldn't be it.

Alternatively, if the job didn't show up, it might be that the dwarf was considered able-bodied and left to walk/crawl/whatever to the hospital by themselves.

That does sound horribly similar to the traction bench bug I have witnessed, where the traction bench would not be used during treatment.

Deathworks

obsidian razor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 08:14:29 am »

Yeap, the job showed up (though very rarely...) and then my dwarves would proceed to ignore the wounded when close...

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 07:18:25 pm »

I've had a similar problem.

All my wounded dwarves have managed to drag their own bloody selves into the hospital, where they proceed to lay there and starve to death. Nearly every dwarf have 'feed/water patients' or whatever labor turned on, and I tried turning everything else off except that. The worst part is these dwarves aren't even that wounded, they could just, you know, walk down the hall and get a drink themselves, but no, they have to die of thirst instead.

This has happened in two 31 forts so far, I think the first time was .02, but I know for sure the second time was .03.

First time: Urist McStonescrafter got his nose and shoulder broken by a troll before said troll got cut in half. This was early on and there was no hospital setup. He continued to work and eat and drink on his own just fine. Shortly afterwards, I set up a hospital. He then went to the hospital, laid down on the floor and died of thirst.

Second time: Two wounded dwarves walked back to the fort on their own, and laid down in the hospital doorway. I know at least one was given water/cleaned/something involving a bucket once. After that they laid there until one died of thirst. Immediately afterwards, the second one was cleaned up, and he recovered and went on about his business (or at least least he stopped laying in the damn doorway)

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 07:30:59 pm »

Why do the wounded deserve to live?

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 07:44:20 pm »

Because one of them was one of the original 7, whom I was fond enough of to give a nickname ('Chops' the Axedwarf). If it was a peasant or a potash maker or whatever, then I would agree.

Alternate answer: I haven't dug out a graveyard yet, and I can't be arsed with it, more important things to dig.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 08:55:48 pm »

Because they may be necessary or important to you/have enough friends and family that everyone goes nuts when they die.

This happens with about 1 in 3 injuries for me. Dwarves will ignore the wounded, even though there is a hospital with beds, doctors, and i rarely turn off the feeding/recovery labors. They're usually awake and in no pain, often don't have any spinal/leg injuries, but will just sit there and wait till they starve to death, not even attempting to reach the hospital. It makes things so much more difficult.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 11:22:38 pm »

Alternate answer: I haven't dug out a graveyard yet, and I can't be arsed with it, more important things to dig.
I was under the impression that a grave yard of some sort was usually one of the first things dug out.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 11:31:17 pm »

Doesn't matter, even if you do get them to the hospital, and do feed them (You need a backpack or something for this I think), the doctor will never diagnose them so they won't get fixed.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.