Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bee Fortress - v. 0.1 (Very Skeletal Alpha release) An exploration of Castes  (Read 1858 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

The Bee Mod - version 0.1
This version of the mod contains the basic features of what is intended for the completed mod, but lacks a number of materials and creatures.  All around it needs fleshing out, as, for example, the main civ (and currently only added civ) of the mod is smaller than your typical dog, if I'm reading the numbers right (incidently, so are vanilla antmen).  Hence why I call it a skeletal release.  It needs testing, and testing takes time, and time is short at hand for most students.  But some of you out there might have the time.  And despite how incomplete it is, it could still be fun.

INSTALLATION - This is important to the proper function of the mod.  It can be found in BeeReadMe.txt.

Features include:
   -A new playable civ - the Bumblebee Men.  In this caste society, only the the Queen bees reproduce.  The rest of their society consists of castes of workers,
     soldiers, and the male drones.  (Needs their own language, as they are currently using dwarvish)
   -wildflowers restricted to growth in certain regions.  You can't grow them - you have to gather them in the grassy fields.
   -Domestic Honey Bees - these large bees (but still no bigger than a dog) are domesticated by the Bumblebee men.  the Bumblebee men milk them for wax scales, which are then matured by the same process used to make cheese.  The mature wax scales can then be used to make beeswax blocks at the wax collector workshop.  The blocks can be used in construction.
   -2 new workshops:
      -The aforementioned wax collector, and
      -The Honey Cell Shop.  This workshop is used to produced small, edible honey cells from collected flower buds and beeswax blocks.  The shop
        can also be used to brew this honey into mead.
   -New weapons specific to the Bumblebee Men
   -New adversaries (only one so far) to find for yourself.  That's where the dwarven brand of fun is!

Download:  http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2338

Known Issues:
-There aren't any flowers that can be grown via a farm plot.  There are, in fact, only five flowers at all.  Feel free to suggest any preferences for flowers to be added.
-It's a little hard to tell worker bees and soldier bees apart.  I've done a little to help recognize worker bees, but for soldier bees I may need a little help working out some profession tokens.  With queens and drones, you can check their gender with (v) -> (g).  They're the only ones that genuinely have genders.  The rest are female only in name.
-I forgot to fix honeybees' representative tile before uploading.  Instead of showing as a lowercase 'b', they are a solid black square.

Changelog:
-No changes 'cause it's the first version out, of course!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:52:25 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Bee Fortress - v. 0.1 (Very Skeletal Alpha release)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:20:39 am »

Add buckwheat, linden, acacia, cornflower and garden angelica with appropriate extracts called "* mead". Bees produce awesome mead using all these plants.

P.S. Language: http://www.textdump.com/v/?k=NjMzMg==
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 04:25:36 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Bee Fortress - v. 0.1 (Very Skeletal Alpha release)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:46:51 pm »

Add buckwheat, linden, acacia, cornflower and garden angelica with appropriate extracts called "* mead". Bees produce awesome mead using all these plants.

P.S. Language: http://www.textdump.com/v/?k=NjMzMg==
Real world bees make mead?

And just out of curiosity, did you make that language?

Edit:  Oh, and I misread something.  Your typical soldier bumblebee is twice the size of a dog, which to me sounds pretty solid.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:51:01 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

the Dregs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile