Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Constructing with blocks  (Read 646 times)

jcrites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Constructing with blocks
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:30:30 am »

If blocks are only useful for construction, and blocks fit in bins ... then let's say I need to construct a large wall.  Can I get my dwarves to haul the blocks up in a bin, to perform the hauling more efficiently?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Constructing with blocks
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:33:24 am »

Read your other thread, Kza was wrong about rock blocks and workshops since you CAN use them with workshops.

The majority of your rock blocks would end up in construction of walls and floors anyway.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:07:21 am »

Read your other thread, Kza was wrong about rock blocks and workshops since you CAN use them with workshops.

The majority of your rock blocks would end up in construction of walls and floors anyway.
Not sure what other thread you're talking about. But last I checked you can't use blocks for the actual jobs in workshops (except for the fact that you create them there). Now this was in 40d, so it might've changed in the new one. Although I can't really see a reason for it.

About the question in the thread. I'm not sure, but the way to do it would be creating a new stockpile near where you want your new wall that takes resources from the old stockpile containing the bins and blocks (in the bins).
The new one should of course only accept blocks and have a bunch of bins assigned to it.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:37:49 am »

I think some confusion has arisen with regard to using blocks in workshops. No, you can't use blocks for everything you would a normal bit of stone (e.g. rock blocks can't be used to make rock crafts, etc.), but you can use them to build workshops, i.e. use a block of some description in their construction, rather than an unprocessed (or "non-block") bit of stone (or wood... or metal...).

As for OP's question: snelg's stockpile solution should do the trick, but think your haulers should be perfectly happy to carry blocks to your stockpile near the wall-to-be, directly from the mason's shop.

Another solution would be to cut out the stockpile altogether and just build an extra mason's workshop near the desired build site; just have an amateur/apprentice mason start churning out blocks from there.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 09:16:41 am »

Sure its easy, just make a bar/block stockpile and disable all the bar options.  Just make sure to move the blocks where you want them and then order the walls or whatever built.  It should be easy to pick out the right ones at this point, since they'll be right there just a few tiles away from the construction zone.

The most likely hiccup to arise is that, since dwarves store bars and blocks together, doing this can throw your forging operations all out of whack by bringing all of your coal and steel and such up to the construction zone, too.  But you can do some stockpile settings to avoid this or, if you haven't made any blocks yet, just start segregated bars and blocks into separate piles from the very start.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 11:54:30 am »

If blocks are only useful for construction, and blocks fit in bins ... then let's say I need to construct a large wall.  Can I get my dwarves to haul the blocks up in a bin, to perform the hauling more efficiently?

To answer your question, yes you can. Designate a block/bar stockpile near your mason workshop, then when you have a full load of blocks, make another bar/block stockpile near where you want to build, and undesignate the first stockpile (or set the second one to "take from" the first one, though I've heard take from is not working right in the new version)
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 12:17:04 pm »

I frequently use a custom stockpile just for building megaprojects. Since I refuse to build out of rough stone, I just set up a stockpile that accepts only rock blocks. I put that stockpile next to my megaproject. I disable rock blocks from being stored anywhere else and so all rock blocks will be hauled right next to the megaproject as soon as the mason finishes making them.

Same thing works with other materials if you want to use other materials instead.

Maaaaybe glass. Definitely iron blocks if you have enough iron. But nothing else.

What? Are you going to build out of wood. Are you some kind of elf?  >:(

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 12:21:28 pm »

I considered, briefly, building an outside trade depot (building/tower not just the depot itself) out of petrified wood blocks. I couldn't get enough of them, though. :(
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

zecro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 02:11:34 pm »

Petrified wood is a rock. It's just got the shape of wood, but all the organic material has been replaced by minerals.

Totally acceptable for Dorf use.