Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] Painter's Studio workshop  (Read 1166 times)

Bombax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[SUGGESTION] Painter's Studio workshop
« on: May 02, 2010, 11:02:22 pm »

I think the game could have a new worskhop and labor that produces paintings. This would add another use for dye and cloth, which would add some interesting variety. Here's the idea:
  • A painter builds a "Painter's Studio" workshop. It costs 1 free material and 1 Easel (made in Carpenters shop). A suggested symbol for Easel is #190, ¥.
  • The workshop has a "reaction" which turns 1 Cloth and 1-2 Dye (and possibly 1 Wood) into 1-2 Paintings.
  • The Paintings are placeable on walls much like engravings and serve to increase the value of a room. They are essentially advances Statues.
  • Reaction options could include which colors (the more the better the painting), which kind of painting (an aethetic thing, like landscapes, portraits, expressionism etc) and such.
  • The Labor is a kind of Craftsdwarf labor.
Opinions?

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION] Painter's Studio workshop
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 04:23:38 am »

i think it would work better if it handled partial items, like hospitals do with thread and cloth now. you just supply your painted with as many different colours of dye as you can, and the quality depends on the amount you can give your painter. there's plenty of options right now, but a single fortress is unlikely to mass-produce more than one or two so you really need to invest a bit to make some wealth this way. perfect for a new industry-type thing.

i like the idea a lot, can't wait to see it happen!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 04:27:16 am »

Opinion?
We might be able to mod this in as it is. Just make some more finished goods, a custom workshops and some reactions and we could have it up and running. Although the skill required would be interesting to choose.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 07:55:07 am »

skill doesn't affect item quality in custom reactions yet. also, dyer would be an easy choice for the skill.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 08:01:33 am »

I like this idea. :D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 08:58:45 am »

i like the idea.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 01:37:59 pm »

Painting seems more of a human and elf thing, cause why would dwarves cover up stone with something not made of stone?  It should still be implemented for humans at least, cause it'd be nice if there were more other race only skills.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?