Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor types/Layering  (Read 2103 times)

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor types/Layering
« on: April 20, 2010, 08:49:34 pm »

Does anyone know if the layering system has changed?  I've never really played with it much in the older versions, since I didn't use adventure mode much and armoring was kind of weird in Dwarf mode.

Having said that - are breastplates -supposed- to be able to be assigned above mail shirts?  I know right now equipment is kind of dodgy (arsenal dwarf or no, getting dwarves to equip everything I tell them to is a little hit or miss.  And by a little I mean Dick Cheney style hit or miss). 

Also, do/should greaves go above mail leggings?  Honestly, greaves are just basically glorified shinpads.  They don't really do much for the full lower body, and are really meant to be worn over mail leggings.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
Re: Armor types/Layering
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:17:08 pm »

Does anyone know if the layering system has changed?  I've never really played with it much in the older versions, since I didn't use adventure mode much and armoring was kind of weird in Dwarf mode.

Having said that - are breastplates -supposed- to be able to be assigned above mail shirts?  I know right now equipment is kind of dodgy (arsenal dwarf or no, getting dwarves to equip everything I tell them to is a little hit or miss.  And by a little I mean Dick Cheney style hit or miss). 

Also, do/should greaves go above mail leggings?  Honestly, greaves are just basically glorified shinpads.  They don't really do much for the full lower body, and are really meant to be worn over mail leggings.

If I'm not mistaken you can't have chainmail under breastplates... I think I already tried giving a dwarf that in the arena test area. Or was that chain leggings and greaves that don't go together?

Anyway, all of these can be easily found out by using the arena to test clothing layers. I'm just too lazy to find out myself.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:07:40 pm »

Well, I think chain shirt under breastplate is intended. Last version you could wear chainmail under plate armor, and it makes sense (IIRC breastplate only covers torso, not the arms, unlike chain shirt). As far as greaves go, there is a specific note in the raws about them saying they don't really make sense right now.

I also have my dwarves wear a leather cloak and hood over everything else which works fine - regular armor does NOT protect the throat, ears, nose, fingers, lips or teeth and I know cloaks/hoods protect at least some of that (throat for sure). It's not much protection compared to real armor, but a hell of a lot better then nothing.

I had a dwarf bug out once and layer on 3 mail shirts, and full set of leather armor (every piece) under a full set of metal armor. Not sure if that's possible normally. Leather under metal armor would make some sense though, since we don't really have the padded cloth armor that was historically worn under mail/plate.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Psithief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 02:44:56 am »

If you don't have your dwarves wearing mail shirts, then they'll get their arms chopped off by goblins! I've seen it happen! It's hilarious!

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 04:23:36 am »

Breastplates do go over maille, both in DF and IRL (for 14th c. armor).  Greaves do not in DF, though they could IRL.  In this game, greaves happen to protect the whole leg minus the foot, I think.  Breast plates only protect the torso unless you mod it by changing [UBSTEP: 0] to [UBSTEP: 1] .  Then it can protect the shoulders and upper arm like maille can.  The only thing there seems to be no armor for is the face, I think... I could be wrong here. 

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 04:27:32 am »

If you don't have your dwarves wearing mail shirts, then they'll get their arms chopped off by goblins! I've seen it happen! It's hilarious!

Sigged.

Also, it's very true.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 06:00:32 am »

Breastplates do go over maille, both in DF and IRL (for 14th c. armor).  Greaves do not in DF, though they could IRL.  In this game, greaves happen to protect the whole leg minus the foot, I think.  Breast plates only protect the torso unless you mod it by changing [UBSTEP: 0] to [UBSTEP: 1] .  Then it can protect the shoulders and upper arm like maille can.  The only thing there seems to be no armor for is the face, I think... I could be wrong here.

I believe cloaks cover the whole body, including the face (it might be a bug...)

I know for sure they cover the throat and ears, anyway, since I've got a combat log of it protecting both of those.

Interestingly enough, even hoods don't actually seem to protect the ears, though. They must be strange hoods.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 12:44:43 am »

I've experienced the same thing with my tests.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 01:11:45 am »

I believe cloaks cover the whole body, including the face (it might be a bug...)

I know for sure they cover the throat and ears, anyway, since I've got a combat log of it protecting both of those.

Interestingly enough, even hoods don't actually seem to protect the ears, though. They must be strange hoods.

I always assumed that the hoods had earholes cut in them. Which doesn't really make sense, but yeah.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 03:13:35 pm »

Quote from: Vester link=topic=55032.msg1218175#msg1218175 date=1272867105
I always assumed that the hoods had earholes cut in them. Which doesn't really make sense, but yeah.
[/quote

I always cut earholes into my hoodies as soon as I purchase them.  Doesn't everybody do this?
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 10:34:24 am »

Masks cover the face, but they're exotic(You can't make them in dwarf mode).
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.