Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Everyone is suffocating! (dfreveal)  (Read 2180 times)

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Everyone is suffocating! (dfreveal)
« on: May 04, 2010, 09:08:58 am »

I started a new embark and decided to give dfreveal a shot.  It discovered the spoiler that many players know about.  Immediately people started raging and calming down and suffocating for no apparent reason.  I'm assuming it's related.  Does anyone have any experience using this that could give me some pointers?
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone is suffocating! (dfreveal)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:16:15 am »

When you say "people", do you mean your dwarves, or other people?  I don't know for sure as I haven't seen HFS in the new version, but in 40d there were persons in dire circumstances who were essentially held in stasis until you discovered them, after which they would proceed to die horribly.  It sounds to me like reveal may have activated them in your case.

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:41:37 am »

No, my dwarves.  Sorry for the delayed reply I was at class.  1 was killed by a harpy, and 4 more died from suffocating as well as a few animals.  The first suffocation happened before the harpy attacked.  I honestly don't know if this was going to happen anyways as I used dfreveal as soon as I landed but I've never seen it before so I assumed it was from that.  When I get a few minutes I'll embark again and see if that is the cause, or if it even shows up again.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 12:00:58 pm »

That... that is odd.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 03:39:58 pm »

Its unusual for that to happen.

Reveal will often times screw up your saves, but if you embark, use reveal, and then alt-tab and force close the game without saving it should have no ill effects at all.

Except for your framerate. Using reveal will spawn FUN, which will then kill your FPS if they can't path to your dwarves.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 02:49:04 pm »

That is indeed quite strange. Can I have the save?

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 09:46:04 am »

The save is long gone I believe.  I abandoned shortly after and decided to proceed without reveal.  Unless for some reason the saves would be hidden away in my game files after an abandon (I don't do much with manipulating saves), I would be happy to provide the files to you.