Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Framerate and Weather/Temperature  (Read 530 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Framerate and Weather/Temperature
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:57:04 pm »

Is the addition of new layers on living creatures causing the temperature crunching to take a lot more CPU time than before? Turning off temperature in a fort with 86 dwarves and a small magma forge took my framerate from 50 to 110.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Framerate and Weather/Temperature
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:36:08 pm »

probably more to do with all the spoiler stuff down there. It could be temperature related?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 11:18:45 pm »

probably more to do with all the spoiler stuff down there. It could be temperature related?

There *is* a lot of magma around, so I guess that could do it... But all I did to exploit it was a two-tile wide magmaduct going for about fifty tiles [and up two levels with manual pumps] and that caused the framerate to drop from 100 to about 50.

Couldn't have been pathfinding, everyone was idling.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 12:48:04 am »

There *is* a lot of magma around, so I guess that could do it... But all I did to exploit it was a two-tile wide magmaduct going for about fifty tiles [and up two levels with manual pumps] and that caused the framerate to drop from 100 to about 50.

Couldn't have been pathfinding, everyone was idling.

My experience has been that once you breach water/magma lakes, framerate drops slightly until it has refilled to the completely full level (due to continual liquid pathing). Even if you just take out a single 7/7 block.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:55:09 pm »

That sounds about right to me, yeah. I usually create/embark with temp and weather on (you know, so that civilizations in "ON FIRE" areas actually die off) and then turn them off once the framerate starts crunching down to 50 or so. The boost makes me feel like I'm accomplishing more.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.