Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elk Taming  (Read 455 times)

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elk Taming
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:28:20 am »

Recently i caught some elks. Got them right in cages at animal stockpiles - but it seems that they cannot be tamed through kennels.
If i wanna butcher them, i should let my military dwarves kill them, then add a task in butchery? Or it wont do? Because the bugged hunt in the newest version. i cant get my dwarf hunt, and let my soldiers kill elks and horses. But after they killed those animals, everything left after are blood and some substances. No meat, no bone, no brain nothing... is it bug?

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elk Taming
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:32:46 am »

I don't know about killing/butchering them, but if you can get a Dungeon Master, you can tame them.  They are PET_EXOTIC.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:45:32 am »

Ah yes. Ok thx.
I have one more question - how to make those *** hunters to hunt? I assigned hunting labor - he picked up crossbow and "no job", I went into Military screen and assigned ammunition, but he still does nothing -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 10:29:26 am »

In one of those -answered an umpteenth billion times- things, the answer is probably 'quiver', followed by 'toggle the labor on/off once you've got everything they need' and buttressed by 'it's easier to make a military squad just kill the animals'. Search is your friend.

Also,
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 12:53:04 pm »

Speaking of which, I accidentally bought a bunch of cages that already had tame cardinals and such in it.. I just wanted empty cages, so I have all this tame vermin.  Yeah I could assign them as pets or make a zoo, but I'd rather just kill the contents and make cardinal stew.  But it won't let me!

igless

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 12:59:48 pm »

I had some insane deer who were determined to run down into my underground fortress and hang out in the bedrooms (I did say they were insane).  I kept trapping them in cages and pitting them over the back side of the outer wall into freedom, and they kept running around to the front and down to the bedrooms again.  I finally brought that to a halt by enclosing the 3x3 pitting area and installing three weapon traps (and a locked entrance from the outside).  Now when something is pitted there, it frantically, but briefly, runs around trying to path to the front entrance and then becomes meat for the dinner table.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 01:27:03 pm »

On the caged vermin; you should be able to get them out of cages if you've got free animal traps, I think. Apparently dwarves treat vermin in traps like regular food, or so I've seen said, so keeping a stockpile of filled animal traps near your eating area could clean out your critter problem, sooner or later.

Never tried it myself, though, so I've no clue how well (or even if, really) the process works.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.