Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monster of Steam?  (Read 539 times)

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Monster of Steam?
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:11:07 am »

Can they even be killed? :\

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster of Steam?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:27:07 pm »

I suspect not, not without encasing in obsidian.  I wish there was a way to turn off the unkillables and just leave the animal-based ones.  It's one thing to go down like Bronzemurdered, another thing entirely to be sieged by a literally unstoppable force.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:50:25 pm »

I think the materials are just taken from the raws, so there's no way to get rid of steam beasts without getting rid of steam...

You would think that something made of steam would just cool down and turn into a puddle after a while...

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:53:50 pm »

I think the materials are just taken from the raws, so there's no way to get rid of steam beasts without getting rid of steam...

You would think that something made of steam would just cool down and turn into a puddle after a while...

That is what I was hoping for as I lead it upwards. But, nope. I had to abandon my fortress.

Next time I'll make sure to utilize save scumming before I start digging around in the depth of the earth. Does anyone know, next time if I find another unkillable if I save-scum will the baddies be different?

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 02:52:46 pm »

I had one of these too.  Fortunately for me (or maybe not), I had already been royally screwed by a few encounters with previous forgotten beasts.  A dwarven child went berserk and spent the rest of the fortresses brief life punching the thing.  There were constant explosions of steam as it's body was punched apart again and again, but no matter how many times you hit it, it keeps reforming. 

I eventually gave up and abandoned.  The game crashed while saving. 

Oh, and I've read that anything can be killed by dropping a cave-in on it.  My own attempts failed because the monster saw my dwarves carving channels above it and ran up the new conveniently placed ramp up to attack them, thus avoiding the cave in. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:58:12 pm by Ruttiger »