Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why will nobody but my manager dig?  (Read 829 times)

quillbreaker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
why will nobody but my manager dig?
« on: May 01, 2010, 12:43:15 am »

I've got copper.  With it I make copper picks - at least I seem to - the job finishes without error.  At least 10 dwarfs have mining as one of their tasks.  Sometimes they are idle.  But I can't find the picks and apparently the dwarfs can't find the picks and thus nobody but the dwarf with the one pick I brought with me will dig.

Beyond this...  I'm liking v0.31.03.  One pick to a fortress is not working out for me, though.  Could they be vanishing somehow?  My bookkeeper can't seem to track them.

fudgejudge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: why will nobody but my manager dig?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 01:00:47 am »

Do you have an Arsenal Dwarf position available? He needs to be appointed for any cannon fodder dwarves to equip anything if you have over 20 population, although I think it may just be for military equips.

It could also be that all your other mining enabled dwarves are attending a party/eating/drinking/sleeping, if so, give them some time to finish and they should rush out to mine like a mechanic clearing traps during a siege.

quillbreaker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 01:14:45 am »

It's been too long for a momentary delay.

I have a 35 population and positions open for expedition leader, militia commander, sheriff, manager, chief medical dwarf, broker, bookkeeper, and militia captains, but no arsenal dwarf.  Do all of the requirements need to be met for the other nobles before the arsenal position opens up?

I like the idea of the dwarfs being to equip automatically...  but I didn't need another ultra-technical detail locking off part of the game.

fudgejudge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 01:20:46 am »

35 population....but no arsenal dwarf. 

CONGRATULATIONS!! You've encountered a bug in which an arsenal dwarf cannot be appointed, causing nobody to ever equip anything ever again!

You'll have to start a new fort, sorry.

quillbreaker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 01:28:52 am »

never ever ever?  Yuck.  I'll wait for next release.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 01:38:57 am »

I ran in a similar issue several times, but the arsenal dwarf position usually become available eventually. It usually happens at season change, so I would suggest you wait a few seasons before abandonning. I never had problem making or having dwarves use picks however. Never used copper either (I always bring copper and cassiterite for bronze). You could try using a different material.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 04:25:00 am »

35 population....but no arsenal dwarf. 

CONGRATULATIONS!! You've encountered a bug in which an arsenal dwarf cannot be appointed, causing nobody to ever equip anything ever again!

You'll have to start a new fort, sorry.

try drafting a militia commander - sometimes that sometimes makes the arsenal dwarf position magical appear.

on picks: check where they are using the 'z' menu (if your bookkeeper is up to speed)- if they aren't on the list, make some. if they are, you can 'tab-z' to their locations. if you haven't already, make a stockpile and ensure the picks are moved to that stockpile. sometimes picks, like anything else, are made in a workshop and immediately tasked to be moved to a stockpile, preventing another dwarf from actually taking the pick directly, as instead he wants to wait for it to be moved first.

on getting dwarves to use the picks: turn off all the dwarf's labours, and check he's gone to idle. once he has, turn on mining only. wait and see. he *should* go "pickup equipment".

a related query: are you using any assistant program, like dwarf therapist? i've noticed for woodcutting/mining, even if you change it in DT, you still need to unselect/reselect it in DF to ensure the change is properly made.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 04:39:51 am »

In my experience, you need to have the military nobles taken up before the Arsenal dwarf appears.

Beyond that, are your books up to date? If so, you should be able to check your STOCKS. (If not, assign a bookkeeper and set at least low accuracy)
z - stocks - weapons - x

Now you should have a full list of all of your weapons. Select any one and press Z to zoom to item.

Alternatively, set up a weapons stockpile.

Lastly, are you using Dwarf Therapist? Mining assignments through that, at least for me, do not create "pickup equipment" jobs.

Either way, after you ensure you have picks, reset the mining job - deactivate it manually, then reactivate it.

Lastly, I do not believe Arsenal Dwarf has any effect on miner/woodcutter item assignment. Just everything else.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

quillbreaker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 05:00:58 am »

Interestingly enough, I am using Therapist.  I tried the weapon stockpile, and that didn't work, which is what got me to wondering if the picks existed at all.  I did see later that they show up on the Trade menu, so they did exist.  Somewhere.

Just out of curiosity, I set [REQUIRES_POPULATION:5] for the Arsenal and created a new world, and it let me appoint someone as Arsenal when we were stepping out of the wagon.  This reminds me of the time that I told a friend something started at 2 pm so they would actually be there by 3 pm.

Thanks for the various advice.  I'll give it a try and we'll see how it all turns out.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 03:32:58 pm »

I ran into this same issue with Therapist, its a known bug.  Go to the dwarves and manually turn off mining on each one via DF.  Unpause the game for a moment, then pause it.  Go back to the dwarves and manually turn Mining back on via DF.  They should go running for the picks. 

After that I just designated ten dwarves to mining and have never changed it since.  There's so much ore in 31 that the need for micro-managing dedicated super-miners onto veins isn't super necessary until you hit the fun stuff.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 04:31:46 pm »

i think that making sure you have enough haulers and that your record keeper is on top of things makes a huge difference in making dwarves equip stuff
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Rockx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 08:21:11 am »

I ran into this same issue with Therapist, its a known bug.  Go to the dwarves and manually turn off mining on each one via DF.  Unpause the game for a moment, then pause it.  Go back to the dwarves and manually turn Mining back on via DF.  They should go running for the picks. 

After that I just designated ten dwarves to mining and have never changed it since.  There's so much ore in 31 that the need for micro-managing dedicated super-miners onto veins isn't super necessary until you hit the fun stuff.

Yep, I get this a lot when I use Therapist to turn on a jobs. Mining and Woodcutting are the two that I run across, though I suppose any job that requires equipment (such as hunting) would suffer from that bug as well.

As for arsenal dwarfs, I've found that once I have a large enough military (say 20 dwarfs) then I get the option of an arsenal dwarf. Might be pure coincidence...

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 09:13:13 am »

Yep, I get this a lot when I use Therapist to turn on a jobs. Mining and Woodcutting are the two that I run across, though I suppose any job that requires equipment (such as hunting) would suffer from that bug as well.

As for arsenal dwarfs, I've found that once I have a large enough military (say 20 dwarfs) then I get the option of an arsenal dwarf. Might be pure coincidence...

Pure coincide, as I get the arsenal dwarf position available without having military at all (though I may have had some military noble positions assigned by that point, I usually do that when I know someone is going to be in that position sooner or later). I think the basic requirement for arsenal dwarf is population of 20 or something like that and possibility bookkeeper assigned.

And the problem with picking up equipment in DT covers all the jobs requiring equipment: hunter, woodcutter and miner (I think that's all of those).
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."