Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ramps displaying which directions they can be "climbed" to  (Read 663 times)

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ramps displaying which directions they can be "climbed" to
« on: July 26, 2010, 06:52:17 pm »

I just got fooled repeatedly by this, as proven by a discussion on the bug tracker until somebody pointed out to me that "a ramp needs to have a wall on the side of the ramp you want to go up or down". In hindsight it's obvious, but until this was pointed out I couldn't figure out why my dwarves kept trapping themselves.

So, the actual suggestion: could ramps list which direction(s) can be climbed from them (or in which direction dwarves can leave them on the same level in the case of downward slopes) when looked at with "k"?

shale downward slope
can be left to the north, east

and

shale upward slope
can be climbed to the north, east

for example.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ramps displaying which directions they can be "climbed" to
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 04:15:18 am »

"Descended" is probably better than "left".

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ramps displaying which directions they can be "climbed" to
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 04:21:01 am »

"left" is a weird way to put it, but what I'm going  for is not "you can go down this ramp to directions X, Y", but rather "this ramp is accessable (can be entered from and left towards) directions X, Y on this level" - downward ramps can block the path of dwarves trying to get to the tile on the other side of the ramp. If the setup looks like this for example:

Code: [Select]
__ __
__/##

you can move down the ramp if you're coming from the right side, but not if you're coming from the left side and you can't move over the ramp either. If you're viewing the level where the ramp is displayed as "downward slope", there's no way to actually see that without going to the level below and checking which sides have a wall. It's obvious if you visualize it like this, but if you're just looking at DF going "why the hell doesn't that dwarf use the ramp right next to him?" it can be frustrating.