Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions from a new DF player.  (Read 613 times)

Rawchief

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Questions from a new DF player.
« on: May 05, 2010, 10:03:51 pm »

Hey all, 
Just joined the forums tonight but have been lurking the past week and a half.. about the same amount of time I've been playing DF.  I'm playing the latest version with the Phoebus (I think that's what is called) Tile set. 

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can help with or at least point me in the right direction on the wiki with.
All questions deal with fortress mode.

1.  There is a red C in the top left of the game screen.  What does it mean?  I want to say it has something to do with combat reports that I think I saw mentioned somewhere.
1.a.  Is there a combat report somewhere?  I just had my miners hack up an alligator and while I know how to look at the gators injuries.. I was hoping for a blow by blow report like in adventurer mode.   

2.  Thanks to the wiki, I'm starting to understand most industries except for the ones that have to deal with taking parts from dead creatures like the bone industry and leather industry.  When setting up stockpiles how do I make one for just skeletons to place near a craftdwarf workshop and one for just hides or whatever the tanner needs?  I understand how to make specialty stockpiles but I don't know which options under the refuse I need enabled for just those goods by shops.

3.  I suspect since I just started this fortress.. the now dead gator will probably deteriorate before I can get a butcher, craftdwarf and tanner set up.  In the future.. is there a way to preserve these corpses in the wild or is it just a matter of killing it once I have the butcher shop setup and hoping my butcher gets the corpse from the wild in time?

Thanks for the help... I'm sure I will have more questions down the road.

I also want to say a special thanks to the dwarves who contribute to the magmawiki and to Captnduck for those very helpful youtube tutorials.  I'm sure these resources have sped up my learning considerably.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions from a new DF player.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 11:10:05 pm »

1. The red "C" does indeed mean that there are combat reports for you to read.
1.a. The combat reports in question can be found (by default) by pressing r on the main screen. It then gives a list of creatures that have done battle recently, and you can select them to see a detailed overview of the battle they were involved in. It isn't perfect, and isn't quite as detailed as what is in adventure mode (the most glaring omission is that it fails to list most fatalities), but is still pretty cool.

2. There is currently no known way to seperate bones, shells, skulls, and raw hides (which is what the tanner needs) from otherwise-useless body parts like hair, nervous tissue, and various severed limbs. This is something that most everyone sees as a problem, especially given that there was a way to do so in the previous version. All of those things are now simply found in the blanket "body parts" section of the custom refuse options.

3. Set up a refuse pile that accepts only corpses and your haulers will drag corpses to it. If there's an unrotten corpse from a butcherable creature near your butcher's shop, the shop will automatically quene a butcher animal job, and your butcher (who you should turn off all other labors for if at all possible) will handle it.

Unfortuantely, there is not currently any known way of seperating rotten corpses out from unrotten, butcherable ones, and it is very annoying to make the refuse stockpile automatically seperate out butcherable and non-butcherable creature types. This, unlike the body parts stockpiles, was also not an option in the previous versions, so it isn't quite as annoying to veteran players.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:04:56 am »

It's not too late if that gator freshly died. You can set up a butcher's shop afterwards and provided the corpse hasn't rotted yet, you can butcher it. Then get a tannery set up and you'll get the leather from it. Bones are always preserved for all time provided they're underground.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:25:58 am »

From reading the bug tracker conversation you can set up a refuse stockpile that accept body parts from turtle and cave lobsters. That will get shells and what not stacked there. A round about of way to do whats needed.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#