Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simple question about magma (and water) flow (40d)  (Read 386 times)

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Simple question about magma (and water) flow (40d)
« on: May 04, 2010, 06:11:08 pm »

I've read the wiki and it tries to explain how this works, but frankly it's a bit inadequate and it seems like something you'd need to test yourself at different distances and circumstances.

My fortress is dug down at the center of the map.  There is a magma pipe at one of the extreme corners of the map.  I'd like to be able to route the magma from the pipe along a long tunnel to a series of tunnels below my future magma furnaces.  Will the magma be able to flow that far without evaporating if it's coming out from the lower levels of a magma pipe?  If not, then do I need to either use pumps (which I've never done), or let it flow a small distance up to a gate, fill up, then let that go to fill another section, etc.? 

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple question about magma (and water) flow (40d)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 06:54:37 pm »

As long as it's a 1-tile-wide pipe, the magma will eventually get there on its own, but it will be slow. You should use a pump.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.