Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hopefully a stupid (smelting) question...  (Read 1930 times)

nocash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • NO CASH VALUE
Hopefully a stupid (smelting) question...
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:36:41 pm »

My smelter doesn't seem to want to turn bituminous coal or lignite into coke. I DO have charcoal that the smelter will recognize/use for smelting ore, but coke options are not there. Burrows shouldn't be the issue either, as I've tried changing those around to fix the issue. Basically, it's the exact same as this issue, except that the solution doesn't work for me.

Is there something else simple that I might be missing? I've been searching around and nobody else seems to have run into this problem, which makes me suspect it's user error.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hopefully a stupid (smelting) question...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 12:12:43 am »

Assuming it isn't related to the linked bug report, I can only offer to check all the obvious thing that can easily be missed.

- Check that the coal is not tasked or forbidden.
- Look if a path exist between the smelter and the material (ramps are usually the main problem).
- Verify that dwarves are allowed to gather minerals ("o", "s").
- Sacrifice 3 elven children for Armok... make that 5 to be 100% sure. (nevermind, sacrifice isn't implemented yet... officially   :P )

Hmmm... can't think of anything else. Also, a few things to try working around the issue if none of the above is in cause. Did you create a stockpile near the smelter that accept only coal? If you didn't try it. You can also try mass dumping the coal near the smelter and reclaiming it afterward. Finally, try saving/reloading, there was issues with pathfinding in earlier 0.31 versions and that usually fixed them, so it's worth a try.

nocash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • NO CASH VALUE
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 12:27:52 am »

Assuming it isn't related to the linked bug report, I can only offer to check all the obvious thing that can easily be missed.

- Check that the coal is not tasked or forbidden.
- Look if a path exist between the smelter and the material (ramps are usually the main problem).
- Verify that dwarves are allowed to gather minerals ("o", "s").
- Sacrifice 3 elven children for Armok... make that 5 to be 100% sure. (nevermind, sacrifice isn't implemented yet... officially   :P )

Hmmm... can't think of anything else. Also, a few things to try working around the issue if none of the above is in cause. Did you create a stockpile near the smelter that accept only coal? If you didn't try it. You can also try mass dumping the coal near the smelter and reclaiming it afterward. Finally, try saving/reloading, there was issues with pathfinding in earlier 0.31 versions and that usually fixed them, so it's worth a try.

Yep, got stockpiles of bituminous, lignite and charcoal right next to the smelter. They'll grab the charcoal and smelt metal ore, but they won't make any coke.

At least it sounds like I'm not overlooking anything basic. Hopefully I'll find some magma before too long. I'll upload the save and create a new bug for it in Mantis and see where that gets me. Thanks for your help :)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:12:03 am »

You DO have charcoal, yes?  You need coke to make coke.  The 'needs coal fuel' message you get when you don't is quite unilluminating.  I'll never understand why you need to burn fuel for this when we have magma-everythingelse anyway...
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 10:15:43 am »

try setting an order to make coke from the job manager (j->m) and see if it gets done. i've seen quite a few bugs in this version where a task inexplicably wont show up at a workshop but will still work through the manager.

nocash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • NO CASH VALUE
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 10:45:37 am »

try setting an order to make coke from the job manager (j->m) and see if it gets done. i've seen quite a few bugs in this version where a task inexplicably wont show up at a workshop but will still work through the manager.

The work manager thing worked! Thanks so much for that suggestion.

Edit: Er, except now it says "cancels Make coke from bituminous coal: needs melanite." Lignite smelting requires indigo tourmaline.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:13:05 am by nocash »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 01:05:58 pm »

Something is seriously wrong in your raws.  The vanilla smelter reactions for making coke from bituminous coal and from lignite require nothing but one coal or lignite, and one fuel.  Did you by any chance make some modifications to your raws?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 02:11:05 pm »

Is this a game you originally started in .01 or .02? The raws changed in the new release, so the game raws and the save raws are conflicting... basically, your save has "melanite" where it should have... something else.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 02:36:28 pm »

Prepare for friendly wizards riding fluffy wamblers coming to trade and attacks of hordes of amphibious dragons... bugged raws can be so much fun ;)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

nocash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • NO CASH VALUE
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 03:32:22 pm »

I can't figure out where these odd values for the smelter reactions are coming from. I use Dwarf Therapist and the dfcleanmap program from dfhacks (to get rid of the perma-blood), but I've never changed the raws. This region was created in .03.

reaction_smelter

[OBJECT:REACTION]

[REACTION:BITUMINOUS_COAL_TO_COKE]
[NAME:make coke from bituminous coal]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:COAL_BITUMINOUS]
[PRODUCT:100:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

[REACTION:LIGNITE_TO_COKE]
[NAME:make coke from lignite]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:LIGNITE]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

Dunno. I'll have to see if this persists across games/regions.

Update: It doesn't. Generating a new, similar region to this one (i.e. pocket island) doesn't have the problem. I'm wondering if it has something to do with transferring this region from my laptop to my desktop system.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 06:44:49 pm by nocash »

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 03:51:14 pm »

It shouldn't matter as long as you transferred the entire region[0-9] folder.

Did you try saving and reloading?  I'm finding all sorts of crafting and smithing bugs like that but they're almost always temporary, saving and reloading makes it sane again.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.