Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Collecting webs from empty GCS lair [40d19]  (Read 941 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Collecting webs from empty GCS lair [40d19]
« on: May 03, 2010, 05:43:30 am »

In my recent game I stumbled upon GCS lair. I managed to capture the GCS and noticed that it's lair seems to be filled with cave spiders and their webs.
Now I figured that on his spare time before the GCS farm is finished my weaver could collect those webs. But the problem is that the lair seems to be
generating "olm remains" that my haulers seem to be keen on gathering as they're inside, and while they're at it they keep trouncing all the webs to dust.

Is there any way to prevent my dwarves from gathering just olm remains? Designating traffic zones keeps them from destroying all the webs, but still the endless Olm Remains Rally disturbs me.

And another question: do cave spiders really bite dwarves and inflict them as the wiki says? Never seen that happen, but I really might have just not
noticed it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:14:04 am by 46852 »

Rapidfirewombat

• Bay Watcher
  • Size: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting webs from empty GCS lair [40d19]
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:28:52 am »

Web gathering can be a little tricky.  You're on the right track with setting up traffic zones, but if you want my suggestion:  Completely seal off the area with a few locked doors.  In my experience, eventually the olm population gets completely obliterated and the chasm/underground river area will stop being some sort of remains factory.  This will take a while though... probably at least a year, and maybe two.  It's been awhile since I was in your same situation, so I can't say for certain, but I have had it happen a couple of times, and every time the olm population eventually got killed off.  Then you can unlock your doors, but leave them pet-impassable to stop your cats from running in and killing all the cave spiders.

Cave spiders will mess up your dwarves and I've seen it personally.  When it happens you get an announcement saying "Urist McSo-and-so was bitten by a cave spider!" And then periodically, the poor dwarf will lapse into a "Stunned" state whatever he's doing.  I'm not sure if it is a permanent thing, but it's not like it permanently cripples the dwarf or anything.  Just once in a while, you will see him going through a stunned state.  It looks the same as when a dwarf with cave adaptation is topside and the sun stuns him.  In my experience cave spider venom doesn't make dwarves puke though, so that's one good thing.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 02:00:38 pm »

Thanks for the answer Wombat!

I actually have the lair sealed already and I'm monitoring the situation. The cave spiders won't disappear then do they? And that spider bite thing is yet another cool thing in DF! I guess I can live with a semiparalyzed weaver :)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:44:39 pm »

I think if you look under the options menu for remains, you will find an option that causes dwarves to ignore refuse such as olm remains.

Then, have your weavers quickly gather all the webs. If you want to wait for them to get more skilled in weaving before you make cloth, turn off the workshop order that automatically turns thread into silk.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 03:02:32 am »

I think if you look under the options menu for remains, you will find an option that causes dwarves to ignore refuse such as olm remains.

Then, have your weavers quickly gather all the webs. If you want to wait for them to get more skilled in weaving before you make cloth, turn off the workshop order that automatically turns thread into silk.

Yeah I know the option exists, but that stops them from gathering *any* remains, and that means all the random lizards and bugs in the fortress.
I hate miasma :(

I wish there was a similar list for remains in the refuse stockpile settings as there is for corpses and body parts so I could filter out those damn olms.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 04:06:57 am »

I would also recommend going into the text file and adding WEBIMMUNE to Olms and any other vermin that gets stuck in the webs.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 04:41:20 am »

I would also recommend going into the text file and adding WEBIMMUNE to Olms and any other vermin that gets stuck in the webs.

That would be cheating, wouldn't it? ;)  Besides, how would my precious spiders stay alive without any delicious olm meat then?

Although [SIZE:10] [WEBIMMUNE] carp-like olm monstrosities could be interesting!