Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to do a forced cave in: Advice please.  (Read 399 times)

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to do a forced cave in: Advice please.
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:53:02 am »

Due to some adventurous exploring, I ended up puncturing a underground cave lake with a upward stair case. What ended up happening is alot of water falling ontop of a under ground volcano at 98 z lvl, and i want the water to stop... and i basicly have to do a 14x9x18 (l,w,h) cave in.

I understand i have to basicly do a channel all around the pillar, and make sure there is a single tile still attached so i can control its fall.. and thats all i know about it.

I tried channeling all the way down but my dwarfs keep are getting crushed by rocks, falling.. what Im i doing wrong? Is there any advice of how i should go about this?

Lastly, will the cave in i create smash the pillar into bits? I have to cover a 2x2x8 hole basically to stop the water from coming out.

Thank you.  8)
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to do a forced cave in: Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:50:11 am »

Oh, here is what you need to do:

Disconnect the section of rock you want to drop on all sides, above, below, and adjacent directly but not diagonally. Leave one tile for the final cut. Your dwarf will be safe if the final cut is made diagonally and there are no horizontal gaps for the dust to reach him on.

Example of a small collapse (assuming the the example here that you can get to each level from the NW):

top level

Code: [Select]
########    .#######    .#######   
########    #.######    #.#vvv##   
######## to .##...## to .##...v#   
########    #.#...##    #.v...v#   
########    ##....##    ##v...v#   
########    ########    ###vvv##
########    ########    ########   

mid levels

########    .#######   
###^^^##    #.#vvv##   
##^###^# to ##v###v#   
##^###^#    ##v###v#   
##^###^#    ##v###v#   
###^^^##    ###vvv##   
########    ########   

Note the top corner wont start with an up ramp on the topmost level- dont add one- just dig down

bottom level (if we have a spare rock layer to remove)

########    .#######   
###^^^##    #.#^^^##   
##^###^# to ##^...^#   
##^###^#    ##^...^#   
##^###^#    ##^...^#   
###^^^##    ###^^^##   
########    ########   

else bottom level if we are digging through to empty space - dig out channels one at a time - dont trap your miners

########    .#######    .#######   
###^^^##    #.#^^^##    #.#   ##   
##^###^# to ##^###^# to ## ### # 
##^###^#    ##^###^#    ## ### # 
##^###^#    ##^### #    ## ### # 
###^^^##    ###^^ ##    ###   ##   
########    ########    ########   

finally, back to the top and dig out that last tile

.#######    .#######
#@#   ##    #@#***##
.##... # to .#*****#
#. ... #    #******#
## ... #    ##*****#
###   ##    ###***## 
########    ########

See also

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1527-nomechanicscollapse

(but I can do it without the constructions these days)

I've used this a few times in 2010 to get a nice straight stairwell down through underground lakes to the lava area...

--

Cave ins will destroy floors and anything constructed. Solid natural rock will remain unharmed. I'm not sure whether the falling rock will fall as separate tiles or retain its shape. IIRC solid constructed walls can also take a collapse impact

####

|
 V
             #
 #          ####
####   to   ####

vs

####

|
 V