Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Less brutal justice?  (Read 937 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Less brutal justice?
« on: May 02, 2010, 04:14:44 pm »

When I can't fulfill a noble's wish, someone always dies.  I thought it was always my captain of the guard who carried out the justice, but then a random butcher killed my metalsmith for not making aluminum items (I don't have any!).  Any strategies for a less brutal justice system for when you simply cannot supply a demand/mandate?

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: Less brutal justice?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 04:15:20 pm »

Don't choose a captain of the guard.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 04:31:32 pm »

use weak weapons. Like an Adamantine war-hammer (this soooo needs to be fixed)
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 05:34:53 pm »

use weak weapons. Like an Adamantine war-hammer (this soooo needs to be fixed)

Why? It's not very heavy at all.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 07:12:08 pm »

When I can't fulfill a noble's wish, someone always dies.  I thought it was always my captain of the guard who carried out the justice, but then a random butcher killed my metalsmith for not making aluminum items (I don't have any!).  Any strategies for a less brutal justice system for when you simply cannot supply a demand/mandate?

Brutal? A drunk sheriff on the beat is never brutal. He just hasn't had enough alcohol.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 07:35:44 pm »

Build a restraint with a bed next to it.  Then the "criminal" will just get some time in jail instead of beaten to death.  Though it sucks if it's a legendary and you're in the middle of some serious high-value production.

In the new version it doesn't appear that hammerers are very easy to get, so not appointing the sheriff might do the trick.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 07:37:02 pm »

Just make sure he's unarmed. Unarmed combat currently does almost no damage, so the dwarves will get roughed up for a bit, but within a few seconds they'll be on their way with no lasting ill effects.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 08:17:00 pm »

Unless if he gets bruised vitals, in which case he might move along vomiting every few stabs.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 09:34:54 pm »

Bruised vitals heal within seconds.

Currently its pretty much impossible to kill someone with blunt damage, including by punching them. This means if your captain of the guard is unarmed he won't be able to hurt any one. He'll basically just slap people a few times, stunning them briefly but doing no lasting harm.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 10:20:02 pm »

Quote from: VerdantSF
Less brutal justice?

That doesn't sound very dwarfy.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 10:32:18 pm »

Neither is mashed dwarf. Well, I suppose it's dwarfy by definition, but it's not dwarfy in concept.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

The butcher

• Bay Watcher
  • \M/ Horns up brothers...horns up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 03:43:01 am »

I call for MORE brutal justice.
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 09:10:20 am »

Your butcher? Was he a member of the guard? Did he have a weapon? I've seen dwarves surrounded by oppponents getting assaulted with strikes left and right and they got nothing more than some bruises and some unhappy thoughts. Either way, creating a few restraints and making a jail (with food) will prevent the beatings.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 10:13:05 am »

Bruised vitals heal within seconds.

Currently its pretty much impossible to kill someone with blunt damage, including by punching them. This means if your captain of the guard is unarmed he won't be able to hurt any one. He'll basically just slap people a few times, stunning them briefly but doing no lasting harm.
It's technically possible in the arena. Technically. Practically they'll never kill anyone by punching them unarmed because you won't spend a year training your sheriff or guards to be grandmaster strikers with maxed out strength. I suppose leather clothes would help too.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 11:43:44 am »

Possible yes, but a beating only lasts for a few rounds of combat, not long enough to cause any lasting harm. To kill anyone with unarmed combat often times takes months of sustained combat, or two opponents of very different sizes.

A troll can easily kill a dwarf in unarmed combat, but dwarf on dwarf brawling is almost harmless.