Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building stuff on constructed stuff  (Read 807 times)

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
Building stuff on constructed stuff
« on: April 30, 2010, 02:13:59 am »

So I want to build things on constructed floors. DF does not let me do this. How can I make a floor without requiring a wall below that allows me to build stuff on it?
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building stuff on constructed stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 02:23:43 am »

What are you trying to build?

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 02:27:28 am »

From what I know on constructed floors you can build everything except walls, ramps, stairs and fortifications.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 02:39:00 am »

From what I know on constructed floors you can build everything except walls, ramps, stairs and fortifications.
^ This.

You can't have more than one 'construction' in a tile, but since constructions can be build over open space, you don't need to have the floor there.

Anything else (workshops, furniture, roads etc.) can be built over constructed floors.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 02:42:21 am »

What's crazy is that now it works. I was trying to build a windmill above my pump, which is in a constructed enclosure jutting out the side of the mountain my cistern is on. I'm making a waterfall, so I was slowing down the water with diagonals... But I digress. It wouldn't let me build a wall, which I think is weird but I remembered from 40d that walls aren't buildable on constructed floors unless it's one that was built as part of a wall on a lower z-level. So I went to build a windmill and it wouldn't let me... Then I opted to connect it to the rest of my windmill farm (the one that runs my pump tower) by running an axle to the main mountain top. Well, it wouldn't let me build a horizontal axle on the floor!

Then the season turned and it saved... After reading this I tried again and, lo and behold, it works. :| I'm confused.
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 02:57:51 am »

that's odd. anyway, for other constructions, you can't construct a wall over a constructed floor. but you can build a wall -connected- to a constructed floor. so if you wanted to create this:

FFFW (Floors and Walls)
FFFW
FFFW

don't build this:

FFFF
FFFF
FFFF

because then it won't let you place the wall.

just build this:

FFF. (. = open space)
FFF.
FFF.

-then- build the wall over the open space. same with stairs and etc

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 03:01:17 am »

Cool, that's something I was wondering about. :D This waterfall thing is one of my first big projects that requires aboveground building. :)

Next big project, pumping up magma from the Fun Sea.

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 05:50:42 am »

What's crazy is that now it works. I was trying to build a windmill above my pump, which is in a constructed enclosure jutting out the side of the mountain my cistern is on. I'm making a waterfall, so I was slowing down the water with diagonals... But I digress. It wouldn't let me build a wall, which I think is weird but I remembered from 40d that walls aren't buildable on constructed floors unless it's one that was built as part of a wall on a lower z-level. So I went to build a windmill and it wouldn't let me... Then I opted to connect it to the rest of my windmill farm (the one that runs my pump tower) by running an axle to the main mountain top. Well, it wouldn't let me build a horizontal axle on the floor!

Then the season turned and it saved... After reading this I tried again and, lo and behold, it works. :| I'm confused.

Are you playing version 31.01 or 31.02 ? There was a bug with pathfinding which causes a considerable lag between changes in the maps graph (building, digging) and updating the pathfinding to acknowledge it. There was always an update at month change though I think. I haven't seen this issue in 31.03.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 12:30:09 am »

I'm in 0.31.03. I think it may have just been some odd hiccup. Keep an eye out for it if build aboveground a lot, though. If it's a repeatable bug, then it needs to get quashed.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 04:46:48 am »

Maybe at the time you were building it, one of the floors wasn't constructed yet?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 01:24:07 pm »

That may be what it was. I'm using the phoebus graphics set and I may have thought the tile was built. Or it may have just been built (like, JUST) and I was trying to place the construction before it registered properly.