Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wood, and the Varying Colours Thereof  (Read 1027 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Wood, and the Varying Colours Thereof
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:29:16 am »

I am finding that some wooden objects do not exhibit the usual plain brown finish, and in fact have a variety of delightful hues.

So far featherwood, tower cap, and some odd fungiwood are the only types of colourful wood encountered, but I would like to know definitively if there are more. The wiki has not been of help here, though I hope that it will one day have a picture of the logs in the "wood" entry, like stones and metals currently do, or even a "crafting results" picture like I recall metal entries having of old.

Does anyone currently have an intelligible list for me to peruse? I cannot understand well what the raws are telling me.

EDIT: It appears THIS is the only list I'll have. Adding as we go. (Thanks Frumple)
dark red (blood thorn,
Bright red (goblin-cap),
purple (Tunnel Tubes) - bright pink in tree-form
Purple (Glumprong) -> is this the same hue?
white (tower-cap, featherwood),
yellow (fungiwood),
dark blue (nether-cap),
pale-green (spore tree),
dark gray (Black-Caps)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 12:09:07 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Wood, and the Varying Colours Thereof
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:22:25 am »

You've got dark red (blood thorn, goblin-cap), white (tower-cap, featherwood), bright pink (tunnel tube), yellow (fungiwood), dark blue (nether-cap), and kinda' pale-green (spore tree), on top of the regular brown. Then possibly more in good/evil biomes, which I'm about to check, so an edit in a mo'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:25:15 am »

Purple can be found in haunted places, i forget what the tree is called though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:32:06 am »

Ah ha. That'd be the glumprong then, according to the raws. It's the only one that's exclusive to evil biomes.
Ask not!
Ask!

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 06:24:48 am »

i also encountered black-cap i believe. I'm sure it's thator a diff. wood that's black.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 06:31:49 am »

Nah, that's it. Black-cap. S'apparently in the second or third cavern layers. Just noticed there's a STATE_COLOR line in the raws, which tells yeh what color the thing's material's gonna' be, assumin' it's different from the base material. Neat.

Goblin-cap's apparently a different color than blood thorn; brighter, I guess. It's been a bit since I've seen one, but it's pretty easy to grow 'em if you've got a growth-capable soil layer and a breached cavern.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 06:33:33 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 06:39:17 am »

Interesting fact: fungiwood barrels are brown. Other items created with fungiwood are yellow. However tower-cap barrels are grey. Odd.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 06:48:04 am »

very. This may require more testing than expected.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

hermano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 06:50:02 am »

I suppose the trees wood foreground color ( DISPLAY_COLOR tag ) is used for the wood when it is available in plant_standard.txt. Otherwise the wood template color is used (brown). All the wood types that were described as colored in this thread do have a DISPLAY_COLOR entry in plant_standard.txt, the others don't. This can be modded then, too, to get wood of other colors.
Barrels are a bit special, for them the backgroundcolor is used for display instead of the foregroundcolor (the only tile that is treated that way). As there are just 8 backgroundcolors instead of the 16 foregroundcolors some colors are not available (as for example yellow for fungiwood is not), in this case another color is chosen by some method (that is unknown to me).

Edit: Actually the method to choose the color for barrels will be quite simple. First we give numbers to the colors. From 0 for black to 7 for light grey (which are available as foreground and background color) and 8 for dark grey to 15 for white (available as foreground colors only).
Woods that have a color value higher than 7, like towercap (white, color 15) or fungiwood (yellow, color 14) get the highest backgroundcolor value available (7, light grey). Bloodthorn has color 4, dark red, which is available as a backgroundcolor.

Another question is why fungiwood doors are displayed black, there the foreground color should be used. I remember the same problem with some stone doors in 40d (was ist granite?).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:29:32 am by hermano »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 08:21:07 am »

DF defines its colors as this: foreground color, ranging from 0 to 7:background, ranging from 0 to 7:light/dark foreground, 1 or 0 respectivelly.

For example: bright red with a black background is 4:0:1, while dark red with a black background is 4:0:0

If I recall correctelly from some modding experiments I did in 40d, some buildings and items turn the last number to a 0. Brown is the darker variation of yellow, so yellow barrels show up brown. Same with white and light grey. (yes, light grey is the darker variation of white. Black is that of dark grey)
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 08:23:30 am »

Interesting fact: fungiwood barrels are brown. Other items created with fungiwood are yellow. However tower-cap barrels are grey. Odd.
Well, you know for metal barrels (copper at least, it's the only kind I've made), only the % bit changes, not the background color.  So that could play into it.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 09:26:28 am »

Another question is why fungiwood doors are displayed black, there the foreground color should be used. I remember the same problem with some stone doors in 40d (was ist granite?).
I believe that only happened if you changed the default RGB values, which some graphics packages do.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 11:40:39 am »

Goblin-Caps are bright red; Blood Thorns are dark red.

Tunnel Tubes are pink in tree-form, but purple in log-form.

Black-Caps are dark gray.

The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 11:41:44 am »

RNG beat me to it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!