Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dropping Equipment  (Read 475 times)

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dropping Equipment
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:03:53 am »

Say you have a dwarf, a mason. Now say this same dwarf has a axe, the only axe in the entire fortress. As long as she has this axe, there will be no beds for anyone.

Now if for some reason you needed to get this axe into the hands of another dwarf how would you go about making this happen? Neither forbiding or dumping make her loosen her grip.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping Equipment
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 05:45:29 am »

I would just activate woodcutting labor for the dwarf with the axe...
it isnīt as if woodcutting took a long time, or that the logs would have a higher quality if  hewn by someone with a high skill level ;)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 06:15:50 am »

Mod out her hands, wait until she drops the axe, forbid it, mod them back in.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 06:39:09 am »

Firstly, why does the mason have the axe?

Designate an activity zone as a garbage dump, then {v}{i} on the dwarf with the axe, {+}/{-} to the axe, {enter}{d} to designate the axe to be dumped (make sure it's not already {f}orbidden. Then, once it's dumped, unforbid the axe and hope the mason doesn't grab it again. :P

If you're outside at the moment, go to {o}rders, {r}efuse and tell your dwarves to gather refuse from outside.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:44:28 am by Samthere »

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:41:20 am »

it isnīt as if woodcutting took a long time, or that the logs would have a higher quality if  hewn by someone with a high skill level ;)

That's true, but a statue will have a higher quality if created by a mason with a high skill level, so will a rock table, and the same also goes for anything that comes out of a mason's workshop.

Designate an activity zone as a garbage dump, then {v}{i} on the dwarf with the axe, {+}/{-} to the axe, {enter}{d} to designate the axe to be dumped (make sure it's not already {f}orbidden. Then, once it's dumped, unforbid the axe and hope the mason doesn't grab it again. :P
Neither forbiding or dumping make her loosen her grip.

But in any case, a bunch of mountain gnomes turned up and drunk all of my fortress' booze, effectively killing the fortress. Reclaim time!

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 06:45:39 am »

Fair enough that you're reclaiming, but did you try modifying the orders with regards to refuse gathering?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 06:59:48 am »

That's true, but a statue will have a higher quality if created by a mason with a high skill level, so will a rock table, and the same also goes for anything that comes out of a mason's workshop.

Thatīs  why I would balance it out with the dwarfs mason duties...
like:
Fell 3-4 trees (so that the carpenter has work), afterwards return to your duties as mason.
(In my games however I evade this problem altogether by bringing 30-40 logs of fungiwood with me,
often I donīt have to fell a single tree,  because afterwards I can supply my industry with enough wood
just by buying it  from the trading caravans)

But in any case, a bunch of mountain gnomes turned up and drunk all of my fortress' booze, effectively killing the fortress. Reclaim time!

Gnomes, monkeys and Buzzards are the creatures in 0.31 who taught me,
to put my food and booze into intermediate stockpiles in my mines (usually just a hallway designated as such a stockpile) as soon as possible

:D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 07:01:29 am by Proteus »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 09:17:20 am »

To be certain you pry equipment off a dwarf, lock him up in a room (lever that closes a door only he can pull), then have another dwarf locked in a neighbouring room (same thing - lever). Have a player-locked door between the rooms so now you have the equipped dwarf and the other dwarf in the same confined area with no other jobs possible. Designate a garbage dump inside one of these rooms, order equipment dumped. There is nothing else they can possibly do, so they will do that job.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.