Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vermin to Coke reaction  (Read 3178 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Re: Vermin to Coke reaction
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 12:21:53 pm »

Well, I think you can make charcoal from animal remains so it's no relay cheating.
Correct.  From wikipedia:
Charcoal is usually produced by slow pyrolysis, the heating of wood, sugar, bone char, or other substances in the absence of oxygen (see pyrolysis, char and biochar). The resulting soft, brittle, lightweight, black, porous material resembles coal and is 50% to 95% carbon with the remainder consisting of volatile chemicals and ash.
Basically, you need some carbon-containing material, and you heat it to remove water and break down impurities.
"bone char"?  Does this mean that there should be some sort of intermediate reaction in-between bones and charcoal (at the very least, you should go corpse>bones>charcoal)  Anyways, charcoal shouldn't burn nearly as hot as coke, and so you should require a lot of bones to be used.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 05:44:41 pm »

You missed a spot. You need the reaction detail in a REACTION file, and you need to add the PERMITTED_REACTION tag to the right entity.

I have this in reaction_smelter.txt:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:CREMATE_REMAINS]
[NAME:cremate remains]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:REMAINS:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[AUTOMATIC]
[SKILL:SMELT]

and this in entity_default.txt under the Dwarf section:

Code: [Select]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:CREMATE_REMAINS]

What did I miss other than that?

Edit: I tried first without the Automatic tag, no go, added that later in my attempts to get it working.  I also generated a new world after each edit since I found out that old worlds don't get the new reactions. Whatever I do it just doesn't even show up as an option.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 03:02:07 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 12:26:03 am »

charcoal and coke are basicly the same thing (carbon with some impuritys) the only difference is the carbon content varying from 50-99% coke generaly has higher carbon content but good charcoal burns just as hot (due to the fact that most of the non carbon contaminents are themselves combustible) so they function the same the only difference is charcoal comes directly from biomass and coke is processed coal
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.
Pages: 1 [2]