Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bronze Anvils  (Read 1946 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Bronze Anvils
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:16:44 pm »

Simple suggestion: Before being made out of wrought iron, anvils were made out of bronze. This should be a standard material to make anvils out of in Dwarf Fortress.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze Anvils
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:01:10 pm »

And before that they were made out of stone. Until poor quality equipment starts lowering the end product's quality and otherwise hampering work, we shouldn't expand the usable materials. It's bad enough we make our picks out of copper.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 12:04:15 pm »

Yes, there are reasons not to expand too far in that direction. However, adding in Bronze anvils would make it easier for people to make anvils in places that don't have iron on-site. And a bronze anvil wouldn't really be much worse than an iron one
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 08:03:16 pm »

Indeed, in the current version, bronze is generally regarded as more valuable than iron since it makes better weapons and armour.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 09:26:05 pm »

Come to think of it, at present, isn't it "impossible" for humans to make metal weapons? Or are we to assume they have to buy all their anvils from the dwarves?
Akur Akir Akam!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 09:29:01 pm »

Actually, a novel approach to that would be along the lines of material quality; the weaker the material, the fewer ores the anvil could work with.  That way, there's no limitations on what can be used for the anvil but it comes at the cost of what you can use with it.

However, that being said it's usually so easy to get anvils from the caravan that it's not really a big impediment not to have iron or steel for making one.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 09:32:48 pm »

Come to think of it, at present, isn't it "impossible" for humans to make metal weapons? Or are we to assume they have to buy all their anvils from the dwarves?

How so? They have access to all natural metals (except adamantine, of course).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 09:36:29 pm »

How so? They have access to all natural metals (except adamantine, of course).
Do they? I've only seen them using bronze. Maybe it's just something weird about the world I generated.
Akur Akir Akam!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 09:38:03 pm »

Well, why wouldn't they use bronze?

Anyway, they should have access to anything, including iron.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 02:51:21 am »

Well, why wouldn't they use bronze?

Anyway, they should have access to anything, including iron.

They only make stuff out of bronze, though.  I suspect it's a bug, since dwarves seem to use everything they have access to.  See this report: 0000812: Human civs only produce bronze items, and as a result have no anvils

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 03:01:15 am »

Indeed, in the current version, bronze is generally regarded as more valuable than iron since it makes better weapons and armour.

That's how it should be.  :D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 03:29:01 am »

Realistically though you should only rarely find copper and tin in the same area. Most bronze production historically involved serious trade.

Also I don't know if bronze would necessarily be better armor than iron. Bronze'd be heavier, certainly... which might be a disadvantage. Or if you were facing, say... dragonfire, the bronze would warm up much faster, and melt more easily.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 10:19:44 am »

Well, sort of. Check this thread out for more info on iron and steel and the gradient between them. Lots of good info, and I'm actually going to be including some more realistic ironworks in the next release of Civilization Forge.

In any case, the bronze anvil is a nice simple addition that requires very little work on Toady's part and makes a good bit of sense.

As a suggestion for later down the road, Steel Anvils should actually be Iron anvils with steel on top. So they should probably use two iron bars and one steel to create them.
Come play Mafia with us!