Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Volume of a "square"  (Read 3500 times)

hermano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Volume of a "square"
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2010, 04:19:07 pm »

Obviously all objects and beings in df have enough mass to bend space-time...
Or dragons are just really tiny.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2010, 04:27:34 pm »

I've always thought of it as one cubic urist :)
This is a hallway.  Its volume is one cubic urist.  Its length is one urist.  The pressure of the air in the hallway is 100 urists.  The temperature is 10000 urists.  It weights 100 urists.
The magma covering the floor is three hepti-urists deep.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

pruwyben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2010, 12:28:02 am »

This is a hallway.  Its volume is one cubic urist.  Its length is one urist.  The pressure of the air in the hallway is 100 urists.  The temperature is 10000 urists.  It weights 100 urists.
It is flowing at a rate of 3.7 Urists per Urist.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010, 01:02:27 am »

It is flowing at a rate of 3.7 Urists per Urist.
But then you get 3.7Urist/Urist, which comes to 3.7(1/1)...
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2010, 01:14:06 am »

The unit of time is the only unit which isn't an Urist.  Its the 'tick'.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2010, 01:22:08 am »

They live in a world of inexplicable geometries and inconstant space. Why do you think dwarves go insane so easily?

So easily? I've had dwarfs who have lost their children, spouse, and dearest friends to unspeakable creatures from the Pit and are freaking ECSTATIC because of their posh dining quarters.

That in itself is insanity, just the kind that allows them to continue doing their job.

And we should really assign individual, unique names to the measurements in DF...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:30:17 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2010, 01:56:21 am »

Even D&D screws up there - an adult dragon is 2 squares x 2 squares, yet is described as being the size of an elephant.

Elephants are bigger than that, people. Some people are nearly that tall.

Adult dragons are 3*3 now, but squares no longer have dimensions.

Adults are Large, Elders and Ancients are Huge. It says squares are roughly 5 feet by 5 feet in the combat section, squirreled away somewhere.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010, 02:12:33 am »

Just my 10c, but there may be a way (sorta'-kinda'-notreally) to find the absolute minimum and maximum in terms of volume for a square, providing DF human ~= modern man. The smallest a creature can possibly be is 1/70000th the volume of an adult human, giving us a solid reference point for the minimum a square could hold.

Then it's just a matter of getting to modding and see just how large a critter can get (There's got to be a maximum limit of some sort; it's at least 20 mil 'urists') and then multiplying that by 100, then by whatever number that 1/70000 comes out to be, giving us the maximum volume of a square... well, after finding out what the potential maximums would be if all 100 of those critters height and broadness values were stretched to their max.

Still, it could ultimately come up with some absolute numbers... which would probably just show how incredibly screwed up DF's physical world is in comparison to ours. Would be interesting to see what numbers popped out, I guess, if only for the mathematics!hilarity it would invoke.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]