Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple Measures of Room Quality  (Read 632 times)

Black

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiple Measures of Room Quality
« on: April 23, 2010, 10:48:42 am »

Room quality is only measured  in dwarfbucks right now, which is kind of weird. You can put an artifact statue in a 1x2 bedroom and get it to royal. Also, since mechanisms are worth a lot, levers are apparently all the rage in high dwarf society.

The suggestion is to split up the measure of a room's quality into a few categories. For example:

Artistry: Contributed only by the value of art objects: engravings, statues, decorations of objects
Comfort: I don't know if there are many constructions in game right now that would fit this category, but certainly beds in bedrooms are one. Smoothing would be a huge contributing factor to this, as well as the clutter of the room (objects / walkable tiles). Distance to important areas such as food and water storage also factor into it, as well as the dwarf's other holdings.
Utility: The quality of functional objects relevant to the room's function. So a throne in an office, not in a bedroom. Some objects would increase the utility of all rooms, such as coffers.
Size: Contributed only by the value of the size of the room minus overlap penalties. Mostly a noble demand.

By making the measurements multi-dimensional, it makes room design more interesting, as it is not as simple as sating nobles by building levers from artifact mechanisms. Nobles would make more nuanced demands. While they might want a throne room with opulent artistry, but might only want it to have no-adj comfort. The king would be the hardest to satisfy because they would want royal quality in all dimensions in all their holdings :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:45:16 pm by Black »

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
Re: Multiple Measures of Room Quality
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 03:52:16 pm »

I like these ideas. If the factors that determine a dwarf's opinion of their room are more dynamic, there will be more room for interesting situations to occur.

Perhaps comfort should be attached to the dwarf who owns the room, though, since comfort is affected by one's preferences. A dwarf who likes microcline would naturally be more comfortable in a room with microcline walls. Also, a dwarf who "is obsessed with wealth" might derive a lot of comfort/happiness from an expensive mechanism in their room, while a dwarf who "does not care about wealth" would not derive any. An average dwarf would be happier because of it, but not enough to make levers better than artistry for purposes of increasing happiness.

Artifacts should always increase the artistry level of a room, even if they are not decorative objects.

Anyway, I hope that these can happen eventually.

Zengrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 08:28:26 am »

I really like these ideas myself. I personally do not like the way value of rooms are calculated myself ether, like you said it's kinda dumb that a lever and all can make a room Royal. I personal refrain myself from using any objects that shouldn't belong in a bedroom, just smooth/engrave and bed/chest/cabinet type of thing for a bedroom only, maybe a table or statue i'm trying to make it royal. But yes it would make much more sense to have a few categories like your suggestion.

Black

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 07:35:25 pm »

I have posted this suggestion on the eternal poll, as this is a long term suggestion that is only appropriate at a later time for implementation. Also I think more people should pitch in their ideas in this thread so the suggestion can be matured. It is obviously going to get implemented one way or another when the time comes, so we should all help Toady by discussing the idea to get some really good concepts to his attention.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 08:51:41 pm »

I suggest that available Storage and the types available to be a consideration.  EG:  A dwarf in the militia would like racks and stands, a wealthy dwarf a coffer, and so on.  It could be something like this:

STORAGE
Weapon Rack:  Yes (4/10 storage in use)
This weapon rack is stocked with quality weapons.  Admantanium artifact mace Whiskerwhack catches the eye with its gleaming head.  The other weapons are pale in comparision to Whiskerwhack.  Felines fear Whiskerwhack.
-Wooden Sword x2
-Admantine Mace
-Horsehair bow

Coffers:  Yes, (50/50 storage in use)
This coffer contains a great deal of wealth.  Gemstones glitter and lie on a bed of valuable coins.  This is the heart of Urist McDuck's wealth.  Neighbor Peter Rabbot is envious.
-5 rubies
-10 diamonds
-35 electrum coins

Furthermore, I believe that Neighbors should be of some importance to a dwarf.  A quiet dwarf might not like a neighbor who has loud keg parties and doesn't invite him, for example.  However, a dwarf who has no neighbors or is in a isolated room may feel depressed, unless hermit-like.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:53:22 pm by Sabin Stargem »

catsplosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 03:31:21 am »

In fairness, if a dwarfbuck is a measure of personal utility then a single measure isn't such a bad thing.  The problem is that that measure isn't taking into account the personal needs of the dwarf, only the dwarf's personal aesthetics.  If a dwarf doesn't have a bed, suddenly the marginal utility of a bed is huge to him -- even if he has a beautiful orthoclase mechanism and orthoclase is his favorite stone.  Getting more into personal conflict and vice could be fun, too, with a dwarf refusing to let go of that beautiful mechanism even though he desperately needs a room with a bed, instead.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 03:45:52 pm »

Goin to bring up my suggestion on room values again, as it's a popular topic, and I already found an amazingly workable solution to the "1 measure of quality" issue that takes into the multiple methods by which one might measure the usefulness of a room.

That's the first post, anyway.  There is one more a little farther down that explains the method in more detail.

I didn't work in anything about a dwarf's preference for certain materials, but that could easily be a "+1 to effective quality" on the object (that works out to a 20% bonus for that object, IIRC).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:51:02 pm by Draco18s »